Welcome to Admin Junkies, Guest — join our community!

Register or log in to explore all our content and services for free on Admin Junkies.

Qualities of the position of Manager or Boss in a company

Sariana23

Captain Junkie
Credits
Those of us who work online and offline hope to have a respectful boss who values our effort and dedication in the functions that we perform daily in his company. But there are many cases in which we do not receive the above from our superiors, so I believe that not everyone is prepared to carry out this position. Although the person has studies and knowledge, he does not know how to get along well with subordinates. So I wonder. What are the qualities that stand out to be a good Manager or Boss?

Advertisement Placeholder
First off, a good manager knows the entire business including the details of the operation. He should be fair in his dealings particularly with subordinates which means there is no favoritism. He should also be considerate but it is all right to be strict with the regulations and in the implementation of policies. The most important trait of the manager is the dedication to his job that he comes early to work.

Your answer is very wise @Alexandoy, in fact the manager must know everything related to the business, otherwise he cannot take the necessary edits in any situation that may arise. And that detail of favoritism that is generally achieved in companies, must be eradicated from the manager to avoid inconveniences among staff.

Those of us who work online and offline hope to have a respectful boss who values our effort and dedication in the functions that we perform daily in his company. But there are many cases in which we do not receive the above from our superiors, so I believe that not everyone is prepared to carry out this position. Although the person has studies and knowledge, he does not know how to get along well with subordinates. So I wonder. What are the qualities that stand out to be a good Manager or Boss?
A boss should be someone who is willing to work with subordinates without making them feel less of themselves. Also, a boss should be willing to learn from subordinates where possible.

Great management is essential to your company's bottom line, but leadership skills are often considered to be inborn. The fact is, though, that these attributes can all be identified and strengthened. Moreover, a skill set that accounts for over 70 percent of the variations in employee engagement scores should not be left to each manager's instinctive talents. While you probably rely on your own familiar set of great management skills, it never hurts to itemize what you're already doing. Start asking yourself, "What are the qualities of a good manager?" Whether you're a manager who wants to strengthen your leadership skills or a new hire trying to spot traits within your current leader, it's important to keep an eye out for the right managerial qualities.

A boss should be someone who is willing to work with subordinates without making them feel less of themselves. Also, a boss should be willing to learn from subordinates where possible.
This that you expose in your thread is very interesting @Bookwormlux, "a boss must be willing to learn from his subordinates whenever possible". I would love for everyone to think the same. Because although the bosses are responsible for their staff, you should not miss the opportunity to learn from each of his subordinates, I am completely sure that there is always something to learn.

The major responsibility of a competent manager is to ensure the proper running and oversee every activity going on in the company. As a leader of the organization he/she has to set a pace for other subordinates to follow.

A good manager should be someone who knows how to balance between being strict and friendly with the workers. The strictness should be a genuine need to make the workers do their best work but not being too hard on them. While friendliness should be a way of relating with workers and not liniency.

The manager serve as an example to the workforce. He or she is punctual, speaks nicely and not rudely. Also, a boss should be flexible in learning on not on his or her own ideas only.

This is an important comment @solalal36. "The manager serves as an example to the workforce", we are all aware of any action taken by the manager, his punctuality and responsibility is always being supervised by the staff working in the company. Respect and your cordiality with the other members is also something important, and generally when they are good actions, the environment also acts that way.

The qualities of a manager in a company is that he/she must be able to manage, supervise , control oversee and direct the company toward achieving the company goals, he must also be able to coach and lead the employee in teaching them how to move the company forward.

The qualities of a manager in a company is that he/she must be able to manage, supervise , control oversee and direct the company toward achieving the company goals, he must also be able to coach and lead the employee in teaching them how to move the company forward.
These are several valuable points that all managers should have @Shigobad, "must be able to manage, supervise, control, and direct the company", at the same time "guide and teach the employee" as you describe. If everyone applied their values and knowledge, companies would be successful. I think they should also delegate functions, so as not to overload themselves with work.

A manager or boss must be able to tolerate the beliefs of his employees, things like not stopping them from practicing their religious duties or cultural festivities.

A manager or boss must be able to tolerate the beliefs of his employees, things like not stopping them from practicing their religious duties or cultural festivities.
You are right @Bookwormlux, no boss has the authority to prohibit any belief or cultural festivity in their staff, since there is freedom of worship, or at least in my country it is so. Likewise workers must respect the workplace, and the beliefs of each colleague.

You are right @Bookwormlux, no boss has the authority to prohibit any belief or cultural festivity in their staff, since there is freedom of worship, or at least in my country it is so. Likewise workers must respect the workplace, and the beliefs of each colleague.
I have experienced seeing someone get fired due to their "religion". Allow me to explain.

The employee came in daily reeking of body odor. His religion stated that he was not to shower and clean himself. He believed that it was a sin. He also stated that he must go to a quiet place every hour and pray for 30 minutes. He would literally walk off the job to go to the restroom and pray for 30 minutes. He done this for about a month before being terminated as HR wanted to get everything documented before serving him the walking papers.

I'm sure they used certain disclosures in their policies to get rid of him as you can't say due to him praying at work, but I know that was a tough one for HR due to possible legalities.

I have experienced seeing someone get fired due to their "religion". Allow me to explain.

The employee came in daily reeking of body odor. His religion stated that he was not to shower and clean himself. He believed that it was a sin. He also stated that he must go to a quiet place every hour and pray for 30 minutes. He would literally walk off the job to go to the restroom and pray for 30 minutes. He done this for about a month before being terminated as HR wanted to get everything documented before serving him the walking papers.

I'm sure they used certain disclosures in their policies to get rid of him as you can't say due to him praying at work, but I know that was a tough one for HR due to possible legalities.
This case you explain is extreme! As I describe in my publication "workers must respect the workplace", they cannot simply be absent in their working hours and arrive with lack of cleanliness, this affects colleagues and the company. In my country if you go to the bathroom it cannot be for more than 5 minutes, otherwise it is absence during working hours and is grounds for dismissal, if such absence is repeated. They have done a good job in Human Resources, because with good documentation they can make a justified dismissal.

In relation to subordinates, a good manager should respect, it's reciprocal, should also motivate, inspire and relate well with them.

In relation to subordinates, a good manager should respect, it's reciprocal, should also motivate, inspire and relate well with them.
This is exactly what is expected of a good manager: respect, motivation, interpersonal interaction with employees, etc. Many managers just say good morning, give orders and say good night. They keep themselves totally isolated from the staff and that is not right. Communication should not be just work, even if it is the most important thing.

Having a honest, caring, humorous, politeness etc attributes towards your workers its a positive qualities of a good manager. Employees always finds comfort working for their manager when this qualities are met.

Having a honest, caring, humorous, politeness etc attributes towards your workers its a positive qualities of a good manager. Employees always finds comfort working for their manager when this qualities are met.
You're right. Most employers tend to be harsh on their staff thinking it brings results whereas reverse is the case.

Register

Register on Admin Junkies completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Would You Rather #9

• Start a forum in a popular but highly competitive niche

Votes: 9 27.3%
  • Initiate a forum within a limited-known niche with zero competition

Votes: 24 72.7%
Win this space by entering the Website of The Month Contest

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic Backgrounds

Granite Backgrounds