Welcome to Admin Junkies, Guest — join our community!

Register or log in to explore all our content and services for free on Admin Junkies.

Paid forum software versus free forum software?

That's why I said each brings special things to the table... and you have to decide which is more important.
For simple HTML pages, there are plenty of free editors that will do most of the design work for you. Yes, you probably have to upload images and stuff to specific directories.... but even in many cases with Pages you had to do the same thing when I was using it. I don't remember it having a "drop an image here and it will get uploaded automagically when you save the page" feature.
You can always do their demo to see how it works. Honestly, for what XF offers, you can't get "real fancy" in their simplistic use of displaying HTML. There are many functions/features of HTML that won't carry over into the HTML "pages". I think your'e wanting something that's all built in that doesn't require much effort to learn to use.
I may end up going with a WP <-> XF bridge just so things are easier for creating pages & blog posts. (then use Bobs addon for any other members who want to use it)

It's not the HTML GUI that he's thinking it is.
Uh, I never said that. Both are visual builders, Gutenberg and IPS pages. But WP is much cheaper, and a friend said he may pay for the bridge license of 80 vs 500.

You can't compare that, Pages is a CMS, not a simple pagebuilder.
Both are page builders, in the sense they both ... build pages.

The difference is building static pages and dynamic ones. With a pagebuilder you drag and drop widges and other content. Content management systems work with databases (in the case of WP custom post types). There is a lot of code involved in the background too.

I would like to see how you create pages like this with XF or only with Gutenberg :ROFLMAO:

Attachments

• cinema.jpg
    cinema.jpg
    485.4 KB · Views: 4
  • cinema2.jpg
    cinema2.jpg
    311 KB · Views: 4
The difference is building static pages and dynamic ones. With a pagebuilder you drag and drop widges and other content. Content management systems work with databases (in the case of WP custom post types). There is a lot of code involved in the background too.

I would like to see how you create pages like this with XF or only with Gutenberg :ROFLMAO:
I don't really need dynamic content loading. Static is enough for all my needs. The fancy stuff? Forums are "dynamic enough." Static pages with text, images, and embedded yt vids is plenty enough to cover 100% of my needs.

Self-hosted free forum software is very DIY (Do-it-Yourself). However, though, if you don't want to deal with problems, you might consider premium stuff.

Who likes DIY stuff?

However, though, if you don't want to deal with problems, you might consider premium stuff.
"Premium" stuff is not limited to SaaS....the only developer that I know of that has forecast an end to self-hosted currently is IPS... the other two MAJOR providers of "premium" (read paid) scripts are still devoted to a period longer than 2 years of self-hosted.

Who likes DIY stuff?
Me... because I like to be able to run WordPress (or another script) on the same hosting incidence as my main site. With SaaS... best of luck with that cowboy! Get ready to bend over and fork over more money.

"Premium" stuff is not limited to SaaS....the only developer that I know of that has forecast an end to self-hosted currently is IPS... the other two MAJOR providers of "premium" (read paid) scripts are still devoted to a period longer than 2 years of self-hosted.
Where in the world did you get the idea that IPS is stopping self hosted in 2 years?

Where in the world did you get the idea that IPS is stopping self hosted in 2 years?
It's clearly in writing.... all you get guaranteed is the lifespan of IPS 5.... and by their "roadmap" that is expected to be replaced in 2 years (if not sooner) from my understanding. Any longer than that you are simply basing upon "I sure hope" instead of the written word (which folks can be held to). And we all know about IPS history with "promises".
And it's been clearly stated that when the self-hosted script ceases to be viable (read bringing in more than it costs to support) it will be kicked to the curb.... and with the IPS push to SaaS, that train is reaching the end of the line.
Even with that.... I'm still toying with renewing my current license, but under my old plan if possible as I don't want to get tied into the "you have to upgrade every time and if you don't keep your papers up to date, you can't upgrade your script after a few years without buying it all over again" routine I have heard about under the classic plan. Of course, they have probably placed that requirement as a general license agreement now that comes with all renewals.

Last edited:
IPS is on version 4.

They haven't even released version 5 yet. They're literally starting teaser videos for version 5, because it's not yet available. The lifespan of 5 is a decade of development that hasn't even started.

That's a long time for self hosted clients to figure out what they want to do.

The lifespan of 5 is a decade of development that hasn't even started.
Maybe you need to do a little more reading. If I remember correctly (and I am getting old) they stated their roadmap covers 2 years, not a decade. They also have a clear history of changing versions when it financially suits them and invalidating past offerings/promises. You may want to say "but that's in the past"... but there is a very old saying about history repeating itself. And when similar behavior has been shown several times by the same people... it's a pretty strong inference that it will happen again (another old saying about a leopard and its spots).
And they have also clearly stated that self-hosted is ONLY guaranteed through version 5. You may want to read more into it, but others of us have watched the promises of IPS come and go over the last decade (that you like to concentrate on).
And they have also clearly inferred (what they do best) that once the self-hosted becomes a burden financially.. it's gone.

It's a fantastic script... but any that use it and that need to have all their sites in one basket under their control are never served by SaaS offerings like they offer. It's the same reason that I and many others won't use XF's SaaS (cloud) offering. At least with XF they have clearly stated that they have no plans in the foreseeable future of eliminating their self-hosted offering.... unlike IPS. Of course, XF still pursues those "nasty low brow" hobbyist sites <and yes, that is a clear gig> and even gets some of the large commercial ones also.
The very base fact is... if someone requires their offering to be self-hosted... treading lightly around IPS is the watchword. They aren't going to come out and say "we definitely will end self-hosted in after X.y.z is released" as that would pretty much guarantee those that insist on self-hosting would find alternative offerings... thereby killing a noticeable segment (currently about 25% of it by their statements if all self-hosted left) revenue stream.

I realize that you are a big "rah-rah" fan-boi of IPS... I was of XF at one time... but then I realized that there are way to many choices to limit myself to any one script.

Last edited:
@Tracy Have you forgotten also that @joelr runs his own IPB site he's been using the software for many many years and is one of the top devs for add-ons based on IPB software :p I say he knows more than most people.

They can't do that anyway if they fully remove self-hosting then people like myself would end up leaving. @Matt C. @Matt M

@Tracy Have you forgotten also that @joelr runs his own IPB site he's been using the software for many many years and is one of the top devs for add-ons based on IPB software :p I say he knows more than most people.
I'm well aware of that... and why exactly I mentioned "fan-boi" in my comment. ;)
There are areas where XF has long had features that IPS hasn't even apparently contemplated when I last ran it (custom user fields in nodes, 1st party add-ons and 3rd party add-ons is one simple one).
Can IPS currently do this in their Gallery add-on (specifically the Extra Information fields)?

Screen Shot 2023-09-17 at 6.02.13 AM.png
Or how about their downloads manager?

Screen Shot 2023-09-17 at 6.08.09 AM.png
Screen Shot 2023-09-17 at 6.09.42 AM.png
Screen Shot 2023-09-17 at 6.10.11 AM.png

They can't do that anyway if they fully remove self-hosting then people like myself would end up leaving.
And that is exactly why I made the comment I did... if they simply said "sorry peeps... after version 5 is EOL and gone the way of the dodo then you have to join our SaaS club or you are SOL" now they would have a mass exodus of current license holders (figure easily about 1/2 of their current self-hosted - which is probably about 12.5% - and probably more honestly) beating feet to the door to find another solution.
It's called "cutting your nose off to spite your face"... and they simply aren't that stupid. They are going to milk that self-hosted cow for as long as it's bringing in some profit... and as soon as it's costing them, it's going to be cut (by their very own words).

Last edited:
I’m out of touch with the whole forum/software scene but back in the day there were some decent free forum softwares like MyBB and phpBB. I imagine these are now either outdated or flooded with ads because who provides quality services for free in these times… 🤷‍♂️ I hope I’m wrong though.

I’m out of touch with the whole forum/software scene but back in the day there were some decent free forum softwares like MyBB and phpBB. I imagine these are now either outdated or flooded with ads because who provides quality services for free in these times… 🤷‍♂️ I hope I’m wrong though.
MyBB hasn't been updated decently since 2015 or something. PhpBB is still updated frequently, but nothing ground breaking. SMF has been the better alternative to free forum software.

Maybe you need to do a little more reading. If I remember correctly (and I am getting old) they stated their roadmap covers 2 years, not a decade.
Once again, please post a link to a direct quote from IPS that clearly stated they are ending self hosting after 2 years.

MyBB hasn't been updated decently since 2015 or something. PhpBB is still updated frequently, but nothing ground breaking. SMF has been the better alternative to free forum software.
I thought MyBB would have released an updated version by now. Last I heard they had dumped 2.0 and announced 1.9 instead which didn't make much sense to me, but is 1.9 ever even coming out? I guess nobody wants to dedicate the amount of time it would take to implement a forum software into something that has no monetary return for them. As for phpBB and SMF, I was never a big fan of either - they don't quite have the modern feel to them in my opinion.

I thought MyBB would have released an updated version by now. Last I heard they had dumped 2.0 and announced 1.9 instead which didn't make much sense to me, but is 1.9 ever even coming out? I guess nobody wants to dedicate the amount of time it would take to implement a forum software into something that has no monetary return for them. As for phpBB and SMF, I was never a big fan of either - they don't quite have the modern feel to them in my opinion.
Yeah, MyBB was once a very promising platform, but they're really stuck in the stone age now. They don't have a lot of devs and being a free platform doesn't help.

Register

Register on Admin Junkies completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Activity
So far there's no one here

Users who are viewing this thread

Would You Rather #9

• Start a forum in a popular but highly competitive niche

Votes: 5 20.8%
  • Initiate a forum within a limited-known niche with zero competition

Votes: 19 79.2%
Win this space by entering the Website of The Month Contest

Theme editor