Welcome to Admin Junkies, Guest — join our community!

Register or log in to explore all our content and services for free on Admin Junkies.

Offering Free Custom Graphics – What's your Stance?

Cedric

Captain Junkie
Administrator
Credits
Offering free custom graphics, some view it as a valuable strategy, especially when starting out or trying to build a portfolio. Others believe it undermines the profession and sets a precedent that can be hard to change.

So, what's your stance?

Building a Portfolio: Many designers just starting out offer free services to get their foot in the door and build a portfolio. Have you done this? What were the outcomes?

Exposure vs. Exploitation: "Work for exposure" is a common proposition. In your opinion, when does it benefit the designer, and when does it border on exploitation?

Valuing Your Craft: Offering services for free can sometimes send a message that one doesn't value their own work. How can designers strike a balance between gaining experience and underselling themselves?

Setting Expectations: If you've offered free graphics, how did you set boundaries to ensure that clients didn't take advantage?

Alternative Solutions: Instead of completely free work, some designers opt for discounted rates, bartering services, or creating generic freebies (like downloadable templates). Have you tried these methods?

Impact on the Industry: Does offering free custom graphics impact the graphic design industry as a whole? If so, in what ways?

Future Transition: For those who started with free offers, how did you transition to paid gigs? Were there challenges in changing client perceptions?
Whether you're a seasoned graphic designer, someone just starting out, or even a client who has been on the receiving end of such offers, your insights are invaluable. Let's share our experiences and perhaps guide those grappling with this decision.

Stay inspired and keep creating. :D

Offering free services like this is great for people that can't afford them, I have always helped people try and move forward so when I see offerings like free services I tend to let's say keep reading.(y)

I've yet to find a competent "free" graphic designer. The pity is, even my poor abilities on two of my sites that I attempted such exceeded what was offered.. and I am in NO way granted graphical ability.
The last one I checked with wanted $300 to create a graphic for my astro site... sorry... my current one doesn't look that bad compared to what they offered.

I've yet to find a competent "free" graphic designer. The pity is, even my poor abilities on two of my sites that I attempted such exceeded what was offered.. and I am in NO way granted graphical ability.
The last one I checked with wanted $300 to create a graphic for my astro site... sorry... my current one doesn't look that bad compared to what they offered.
That’s plain ridiculous. Many decent designers would only charge like 10-25% of that.

That’s plain ridiculous. Many decent designers would only charge like 10-25% of that.
Yep... and that's the reason that I continue to do (even poorly) my own designs.
I actually told that person that presented that offer they needed to put the crack pipe down.

Yep... and that's the reason that I continue to do (even poorly) my own designs.
I actually told that person that presented that offer they needed to put the crack pipe down.
Couldn’t agree more. Yet, if you ever find the need, try out our own marketplace. ;)

Yet, if you ever find the need, try out our own marketplace. ;)
I've thought about it.. but the current logo is decent for the site and my OG:Logo's.
I'd rather put the monies into another add-on for the site honestly.

Register

Register on Admin Junkies completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Activity
So far there's no one here

Users who are viewing this thread

Would You Rather #9

• Start a forum in a popular but highly competitive niche

Votes: 5 21.7%
  • Initiate a forum within a limited-known niche with zero competition

Votes: 18 78.3%
Win this space by entering the Website of The Month Contest

Theme editor