Welcome to Admin Junkies, Guest — join our community!

Register or log in to explore all our content and services for free on Admin Junkies.

HTML Multi-platform IDE For Windows & Android?

kensonplays

Mesozoic Haven Owner
Credits
Been using VSCode on my PC, but they do not have an android app. The "VSCode on the web" doesn't seem to allow me to save on my tablet. Even if I hit "File > Save" it still prompts to save locally on my device as a file rather than saving the actual file on the cloud (it doesn't want to save).

If I go ahead and start taking a basic crash course in HTML/CSS, I'd want a (if its even available) cross-platform app that lets me save projects saved to Google Drive.

I COULD technically use AnyDesk if I set it up and remote into my PC from my tablet for the next best thing, but I'd rather a native app on each that would save properly. Save to one place, either to Google Drive (since I have 2tb space on Workspace), or build the basic HTML page on my PC with a remote access to save the file locally on my PC when I'm out and about. Or something similar in that way. Save a file once, updates on both devices.

Preferably free, or one-time (not subscription, can't do those).

Last edited:
I'm gonna tag @Tyrsson in this, he has the most knowledge on this forum, so chances are he's able to help. :D
I soooo do NOT have the most knowledge on this forum but thanks for the vote of confidence =)

My fist suggestion would be to put the project in github, then open the main repo and type the . as in the period key and it will open vscode in the web, and allow you to save to the repo.

CodePen seems alright, but has some limitations on the free plan, and I dunno if I can create multiple sub-files linking to one another (like fontawesome and my own css). Not sure how well exporting would work to export the code to say, a XenForo page.

I mostly intend to use it to build XenForo pages, not full on sites.

locally on my device as a file rather than saving the actual file on the cloud
After re-reading what you are trying to accomplish. It does not make a whole lot of sense. If you store your html, css, etc files in google drive for example. Thats fine, but you will still want to edit them locally, not remotely unless youre connected to the server etc that is serving them, or in source control. If you open that html file via your browser, its going to pull a copy and open it locally. Google drive, as far as I know is not going to serve you the file like apache will.

I think what you are trying to do is have a central place to store files but work on them from all your devices correct? Which means you would save locally, then upload them to google drive or whatever.

Download the files from your storage, then open that file in vscode for the web (ie your web browser) make your edits. Then upload the modified copies, ie the same file that you downloaded. Who knows google drive may even autosave that file for you since its been modified. Not sure would have to test that.

The trick here I think is.... Say youre using google drive, download the files via the google drive app, then open it in your browser via vscode for the web. Once you save that local file, use the google drive client to save the local copy back to google drive. "Should" work as expected.

Last edited:
I mean, it was just cause I'm used to GDrive and use it to store almost everything. But Github could work if there's any android IDEs that can work with it.

I mean, it was just cause I'm used to GDrive and use it to store almost everything. But Github could work if there's any android IDEs that can work with it.
vscode works with it ;)

When youre browsing any github repo in a web browser, just hit the . (period key) and see what happens ;)

Register

Register on Admin Junkies completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Activity
So far there's no one here

Users who are viewing this thread

Would You Rather #9

• Start a forum in a popular but highly competitive niche

Votes: 5 21.7%
  • Initiate a forum within a limited-known niche with zero competition

Votes: 18 78.3%
Win this space by entering the Website of The Month Contest

Theme editor