Welcome to Admin Junkies, Guest — join our community!

Register or log in to explore all our content and services for free on Admin Junkies.

Looking for suggestions!

Sinistra

The one and only!
Bronze Member
Website
www.anime-insight.net
Credits
I am looking to start a new project and I need forum software, I currently use Invision Community for one of my other communities but I wanted to try something else that's well, more cost-efficient. I am thinking Xenforo, or using my vBulletin license but should I upgrade it to version 6 either way I will end up spending some cash. suggestions, please? thanks!

Give some thought to what functions or appearance this new project should provide, and then see if the core software can handle it, and if not, which of the two has developers who have already added such functionality through a plug-in.

How much is it to upgrade your VBulletin license to V6?

It depends on what you need for this new project. If you need a gallery, blog, articles, or groups you could use your vBulletin license. I think you might have to pay for a vBulletin 6 license to upgrade, but I could be wrong. Xenforo would be cheaper if that's the case, though if you were needing to use the other features that comes with vBulletin you'd have to pay more for plugins if you use Xenforo.

It really depends what you're planning to do. And without knowing what you're after, our suggestions will be based on what we don't know. ;)

Invision Community (v5): Invision Community has a dedicated user base and is recognized for its feature-rich and aesthetically pleasing design. The upcoming v5 software is expected to bring even more enhancements. It may be a strong choice if you appreciate its current features and anticipate the improvements in v5. The customization is only a tip of the iceberg so far.

Xenforo: Xenforo is known for its user-friendly interface and a variety of add-ons. It's generally more affordable compared to some other options. Many hobbyists find it efficient and suitable for their communities. Development on XenForo is however a bit stalled.

WoltLab Suite: WoltLab Suite is a comprehensive community software suite known for its flexibility and feature set. It includes a forum, CMS, and other community-building tools. It's highly customizable, making it suitable for a wide range of community types. Users often appreciate its performance and responsive design. And they have some great 3rd party development too, which are all reasonably priced!

vBulletin: Upgrading your existing vBulletin license to version 6 might be a solid choice if you're already familiar with the platform. Version 6 includes improvements and new features, so it could enhance the user experience. However, I find vBulletin a bit outdated and less packed with features.

Other Options: phpBB, MyBB, and Discourse are some alternatives. They might require less upfront cost, but the features and user experience are less good than paid software of course.

a few questions to consider:
  • How important is cost-efficiency for this project?
  • Which software are you most comfortable with?
  • Do you have any specific needs or preferences that these platforms must fulfill?
  • Would you be open to exploring less costly or even free forum software alternatives?
  • What's your goal of the forum ?

As others have suggested... and I've said for years... first order of business is to determine what your site is going to need.
Will it simply need a forum? A forum and a gallery? A forum, a gallery, a resource manager? Classified ads? Reviews? Show case to show off items?
Once you determine that, you can then start looking at the script that either offers those items natively or that have decent add-ons that allow you to extend it to offer those items.
There is no "one size fits all" answer.
If you simply need a forum, then XF will be your cheapest paid route. Once you start extending it, then the price does go up, and in some ways you can easily exceed what the competitors cost (if you know how to code that is, if not, then it can be a wash).

The original plan was to put Anime-Insight on a new forum software till I got enough to get another IPS for A-I and use my IPS software for my IPS skins. But that plan kind of backfired on me a few years ago when I switched from IPS to vBulletin. I lost more then half of my active community when I switched. When setting up A-I again this year I couldn't install the vBulletin because of outdated script. So I went ahead and set up A-I on Invision board. Seeing as devs now need to host their own things on their own site, instead of using the marketplace on the IPS community. I either need to get a new forum script for AI or get cloud hosting with IPS till I can get enough to move to self-hosted again.

I like Xenforo. I haven't used others for many many years. So I can't really compare. But once you stick to one, you get to get better at it. Cheaper to start does not mean cheap at the end. I would definitely go with a paid software.

Register

Register on Admin Junkies completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Activity
So far there's no one here

Users who are viewing this thread

Would You Rather #9

• Start a forum in a popular but highly competitive niche

Votes: 5 21.7%
  • Initiate a forum within a limited-known niche with zero competition

Votes: 18 78.3%
Win this space by entering the Website of The Month Contest

Theme editor