Welcome to Admin Junkies, Guest — join our community!

Register or log in to explore all our content and services for free on Admin Junkies.

🎨 Theme Design Light theme versus dark theme

For discussions on theme creation and design tips.

JennyorAlice

Renowned member
Credits
Which do you think is better.......having a light theme or a dark theme on a forum? Why do you prefer that one over the other?

I think both options should be given to members as different people prefer different ones. I personally prefer dark theme because at night when I browse through the forum when the lights are off, it doesnt hurt my eyes. 😊

I prefer light, even when it's dark. But I've come to the conclusion that a majority of the forum users prefer a dark themed website. So, it's definitely advised to have both available nowadays.

Mostly I use a dark theme most of the time, Yet not all sites that I'm on have dark but light, doesn't stop me from using it :) on FP I use light and on AJ it's purple. At night time I use dark more than in the day as it's light. Bayside has a theme that supports both light and dark colour picker :)

I've always preferred light themes, but not so light where the contrast is terrible and it's mostly all the same color. I've seen a bundle of dark themes that I was impressed with and didn't mind using, however. But I agree, it's good to have both options available to suit the needs of your members.

I think both are preferred. I usually use light themes though - especially during the day time. Sometimes at night time the brightness gets to be too much though and I then switch to the dark version.

I personally prefer dark theme because at night when I browse through the forum when the lights are off, it doesnt hurt my eyes.
And that's why I'm working on a very simplistic "night vision" style for my primary site... having bright colors are somewhat detracting when out at a dark site doing captures. All the avatars are at 50% opacity so even if they are "bright colored", they get dimmed down quite a bit. This is turning out to be a tad bit of work finding the different add-ons needing tweaking also.

Screen Shot 2023-08-27 at 5.24.19 PM.png

Last edited:
I prefer dark themes over light ones, they look better on my computer screen and are better on my eyes as well. I usually like to have the option of both a light and dark theme since I know not everyone likes dark themes lol.

And that's why I'm working on a very simplistic "night vision" style for my primary site... having bright colors are somewhat detracting when out at a dark site doing captures. All the avatars are at 50% opacity so even if they are "bright colored", they get dimmed down quite a bit. This is turning out to be a tad bit of work finding the different add-ons needing tweaking also.

View attachment 1907
Looks so good. I like the idea of dimming the avatars as well. 😊 I don't think I've seen it done before in any other forum.

I think both options should be given to members as different people prefer different ones. I personally prefer dark theme because at night when I browse through the forum when the lights are off, it doesnt hurt my eyes. 😊
This for sure. In todays world a Light + Dark theme is a must.

Personally I prefer dark themes as they are just easier on my eyes in most cases.

Which do you think is better.......having a light theme or a dark theme on a forum? Why do you prefer that one over the other?
I see the benefit of having both. Some people prefer the dark theme because of using it on a mobile device. I've also had the unfortunate experience of dealing with a bad migrane once and found that the bright screen that I prefer was too intense for me to handle, while the dark theme was soothing, and I could still feel productive while recuperating. I do however, prefer bright, pastel themes. (I'm working with somebody to develop a bright theme for my site now, it's just a low priority).

Assuming neither theme hurts my eyes, I'd have to go with a light theme. Unfortunately my eyes are always hurting me, so I tend to use dark themes. :whistle:

Last edited:
I prefer a darker theme as many forums or sites that have a light theme only utilize the brightest white that there is. It's like looking into the heart of a nuke going off, even worse when you visit at night. A light theme that has more of a lighter grey or something that isn't as harsh is good as well imo.

Register

Register on Admin Junkies completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Activity
So far there's no one here

Users who are viewing this thread

Would You Rather #9

• Start a forum in a popular but highly competitive niche

Votes: 5 20.8%
  • Initiate a forum within a limited-known niche with zero competition

Votes: 19 79.2%
Win this space by entering the Website of The Month Contest

Theme editor