Welcome to Admin Junkies, Guest — join our community!

Register or log in to explore all our content and services for free on Admin Junkies.

Learning from the Fall: Overmoderation in Web Communities

Cedric

Captain Junkie
Administrator
Credits
1699385474360.png
I'd like to kick off a discussion today that I believe holds valuable lessons for all of us in the webmaster world. We often talk about successful communities and what makes them thrive, but let's turn our attention to the other side of the coin for a moment. After all, learning from mistakes is just as important as studying successes.

We've all seen web communities rise and fall over the years. Some start with great potential, only to wither away, while others seem to have the secret recipe for longevity. But what about those communities that have gone down the path of overmoderation, resulting in their ultimate demise?

The Dangers of Overmoderation

Overmoderation, where strict rules and heavy-handed moderation stifle open discussion, is often a well-intentioned effort to maintain a healthy and friendly environment. However, it can have unintended consequences. The suppression of dissenting opinions, creativity, and even minor infractions can alienate members, driving them away and causing the community to lose its vitality.

What We Can Learn

The fall of overmoderated communities can teach us several valuable lessons:

1. Balancing Act: How can we strike a balance between maintaining order and allowing open, diverse discussions in our communities?
  2. The Power of Free Speech: How much freedom of speech should be permitted, and what are the boundaries? What's more important, a perfectly clean environment or the lively exchange of ideas?
  3. Community Engagement: How do we keep members actively participating and invested in the community, rather than feeling stifled or disheartened?
  4. Learning from Mistakes: What have been your personal experiences with overmoderation? How did your community react, and what changes did you make to turn things around?
  5. Case Studies: Share stories of communities that overcame overmoderation or, unfortunately, didn't make it. What lessons can we draw from these examples?

I'd love to hear your thoughts, experiences, and insights on this subject. Have you ever been a part of a community that suffered from overmoderation, or perhaps one that successfully overcame it? What lessons have you learned, and what strategies do you think are essential for building vibrant and enduring web communities?

Hmm..I know of such a place. Been going 23 years. I was once a moderator in said forums chat rooms, The place was buzzing,,,BUT..the owner ruined it. He got himself a book on managing online forums (I have the same one) and he followed it to the letter. He had another admin who did all the staff training…and he was demoted to Forum Moderator. Siggies were banned..and the whole place moved onto word press. All the good users left. The place is dump now. He doesn't even answer staff emails.. Over moderation was a thing..more rules..cant say this cant do that.

Hmm..I know of such a place. Been going 23 years. I was once a moderator in said forums chat rooms, The place was buzzing,,,BUT..the owner ruined it. He got himself a book on managing online forums (I have the same one) and he followed it to the letter. He had another admin who did all the staff training…and he was demoted to Forum Moderator. Siggies were banned..and the whole place moved onto word press. All the good users left. The place is dump now. He doesn't even answer staff emails..

Which book are you referring to?

Managing online forums it’s called. Amazon
Ah by O'Keefe. It's not a bad book, had insight on a few pages but didn't purchase it myself. In the end, it's someone's experience and personal opinion. Not a guaranteed success. And in the case of the admin you knew, a complete destroying of a community.

Yep..after all these years…he’ll deny it..but it’s true. His people skills are pants. His co admin..who he demoted..kept that place alive…

Most forums don't need extra staff in the beginning, unless the community is a admin related one and you offer services to other members. In that case, you'll need some extra staff to help with different tasks. It's even worse when a forum is overstaffed and the staff don't see eye to eye, like in Jane's example it can definitely cause a community to crumble.

I used to be on a huge forum that ran it like a police state. Being on the staff side meant you were constantly busy. Being on the member side meant you would cringe when you saw a staff member in the forums you preferred to frequent on the site because they were looking for rule violations.

One rule I've ALWAYS hated and didn't understand why it was so important to be a rule is: No Backseat Moderation. Now, when members try to help out newbies on the site, it's called backseat moderation...so why is being helpful so wrong??? I got a warning on that site mentioned above because I told a new member he couldn't post something and then told him what he could do, in order to help him out. To me, that was moderation that shouldn't happen. Let the community grow together and not separate them with an us vs them mentality.

Register

Register on Admin Junkies completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Activity
So far there's no one here

Users who are viewing this thread

Would You Rather #9

• Start a forum in a popular but highly competitive niche

Votes: 5 20.8%
  • Initiate a forum within a limited-known niche with zero competition

Votes: 19 79.2%
Win this space by entering the Website of The Month Contest

Theme editor