Welcome to Admin Junkies, Guest — join our community!

Register or log in to explore all our content and services for free on Admin Junkies.

Is staffing on too many forums an issue with acceptance?

MrDawn

Reputable member
Credits
Have you come across one of those members on every other forum you join and see that they're on staff?

Have you ever wondered about why they feel the need to be on staff on every single forum they join? Do you think they may have acceptance issues? What do you think is the problem?

I have yet to see this myself, but I would assume the person probably spends all day online and they like having power so they become staff on every forum they are active on. I suppose if they could keep up with everything and as long as they don't try to take over the forum and let the power of being a moderator go to their head it's fine. If they are causing issues for other staff or members, then they should step down from the forum they're causing issues on.

Maybe they just like having a prominent online presence. This seems personal though, are you sure this is not directed at anyone? 😛
No, not at all. I've seen it with a few members over the years and sometimes they get demoted on other forums because they can't keep up with it all.

No, not at all. I've seen it with a few members over the years and sometimes they get demoted on other forums because they can't keep up with it all.
Fair enough. I was just kidding. I know what you mean, I suppose they don’t realise that they’re putting too much on their plate. Passion takes over common sense!

I've seen it happen frequently. Especially back in the day when many of us were on forums a lot in 2007-2009. So and so would always be on staff. I always wonder how they have the time they have to be on forums. I usually didn't see it impact their time spent. Now though I think it heavily impacts people and their amount of time available. It's hard to keep up with and also know that you are doing the best you could be doing at each and every single forum. If I was interesting in hiring someone and discovered they work on multiple forums I would definitely want to ask how much time they think they can commit to the community. It's better to get an idea/range and set the expectation at the beginning rather than later.

Nothing wrong with having that person as being staff member on many other forums, end of the day most do it for enjoyment and love, but then you have others who want power. I had people help me in the passed and I had staff who was staff elsewhere and in fact, I had staff that had their own forums/website to run hahaha

But it's one big downside that if they are staff on many other sites or running their own, also means that they would have to take less time, meaning they might only be able to have an hour each day or maybe not logged in each day.

Does the person accomplish their tasks in a responsible and timely manner? Are there any conflicts of interest? Are there any non-compete agreements?

Used to see one. Funny that same said person couldn't keep any of her own forums going. Always deleted at least 2 forums a year.

There have been a select few individuals who either required a staff position or wouldn't be a community member, so those cases are not good. But most of the time, people just go into forums hard, love the community, and want to help out. And honestly, it is sometimes rough being a moderator or admin on a site and then being unable to help with spam on a different site.

Used to see one. Funny that same said person couldn't keep any of her own forums going. Always deleted at least 2 forums a year.

I think I know who you're referring to.

Star Trek Lol GIF

I had a member that had to be on staff on my forum and the forum was an admin at. They clamed it was their way of feeling people trusted them, I don't see how being on Staff makes people trust you. Although this was back when boards didn't have the "Root" admin that couldn't be demoted or deleted. And then you have those that brag to their friends that they are an admin at this community.

I believe if a member have staff roles in too many forums, it can become an issue. Been a staff member is
not to brag about the position, its about keeping up with required tasks. I feel keeping up with a couple of forums is
a lot of work already.

I'm staff on three forums. I used to be staff on more and found it incredibly overwhelming.

Depending on the size of the forums, it’s easily manageable. It’s not to hard to browse multiple sites and depending on niche and size staff is gonna be spending most time mak

I feel like when you see the same staff on multiple forums, it starts to become very much 'if you've seen one, you've seen them all' as threads/posts start to get duplicated and the way the forum runs is the same. I wouldn't mind it if the person involved was able to offer something totally unique to each forum they were staff on.

I feel like when you see the same staff on multiple forums, it starts to become very much 'if you've seen one, you've seen them all' as threads/posts start to get duplicated and the way the forum runs is the same. I wouldn't mind it if the person involved was able to offer something totally unique to each forum they were staff on.
This is a great point of view. I agree though! Often with the same staff you’ll not end up with different content especially at the beginning of a community starting.

Ive been a super mod on a forum since about 2006 and probably only go on once a month at best. Never had any issues or queries from admin... I guess ive been there that long now im pretty much rusted onto it lol.

Register

Register on Admin Junkies completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Activity
So far there's no one here

Users who are viewing this thread

New Threads

Would You Rather #9

• Start a forum in a popular but highly competitive niche

Votes: 5 20.8%
  • Initiate a forum within a limited-known niche with zero competition

Votes: 19 79.2%
Win this space by entering the Website of The Month Contest