Welcome to Admin Junkies, Guest — join our community!

Register or log in to explore all our content and services for free on Admin Junkies.

Hypothetical: Theme Generator

Reverie

Mythical member
Retired Staff
Credits
I was just thinking of the days where I used Xanga (Blogs), and Myspace... Where you could find a generator and it would generate the code for you to use based on the aspects you decided... Such as "text color" "background color" "link colors"

Do you think there is a place for such a generator in today's forum designs?

It could certainly be a nice option for a community, but overall I never found one that really produced solid results. If it was completely an add-on and didn't take away from the standard theme, then sure, why not. But overall most of these turn out to be underused and with today's need for responsive and fluid themes, it would be even harder to get right.

I think a theme generator can be a good tool for those who struggle with designing a theme. You can design a theme, then use it as a base to improve your skills and make it unique.

I think a generator will always make the same style of theme. It’s nearly impossible to make a generator that produces sleek and unique themes with solid graphics. It will always be based off something simple. But I could be wrong. Would it be welcome? Most definitely .

To be fair, XenForo and IPS kinda have this built in to some degree - the stock themes start with the facility to pick items with a GUI and select the colours for them.

That said, there was a tool back in the day where you could basically just give it a single colour and it would figure out aligning an entire style to that one colour - great for simple variations where the base theme was fine but you just wanted a colour tweak. http://web.archive.org/web/20120505062446/http://www.colorizeit.com/index.html for the curious but it doesn't work from the Archive, of course.

I think part of the problem with these tools is that they sometimes do weird things with colours.

Register

Register on Admin Junkies completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Activity
So far there's no one here

Users who are viewing this thread

Would You Rather #9

• Start a forum in a popular but highly competitive niche

Votes: 5 20.8%
  • Initiate a forum within a limited-known niche with zero competition

Votes: 19 79.2%
Win this space by entering the Website of The Month Contest

Theme editor