Welcome to Admin Junkies, Guest — join our community!

Register or log in to explore all our content and services for free on Admin Junkies.

• Admin Junkies is proud to announce 📣 an awesome ☀️ summer special on ✍️ Content Bundles for YOUR forums! Kickstart your discussions with a Content Bundle. For the entire month of June, use the promo code AJSUMMER 🎉 to receive 50% 🎁 off your content bundle. For example, a package that normally only costs 100 Credits will only cost 50 💰 credits. Full news here.

Strategies Human spammers

Ideas, innovation, and strategy planning.
Advertisement Placeholder
While it is easier to block bots, human spammers are like any other user. Do you have a mod always online to handle them?
I manually approve all members.

This allows me to do some OSINT on their username, email, IP address, and any information they provided on their profile.

It's really the easiest way to deal with spammers nowadays. I also have a simple security question to weed out the automated ones.

I've been told that this doesn't work as well with large and active forums.

In all honesty, I have to disagree. I have a group on Facebook that has over 43,000 members on it. I have it set to manually approve all new members and visitors with multiple security questions setup. It's not hard to manage it.

However, with my Facebook group, I have Admin-Assist enabled which help combat spam. So, on the forum, I'll have to look for ways to combat spam as it grows because we all know spam will increase as well.

I don't know exactly what part I have configured, but I am regularly seeing users "registering" and their accounts never get created. I know that many of them are going to be bots, but they never get through. Most of what I get notices on are ones from the lengthy email block list that I've compiled over the years. I have had a few real users that were using stuff like Protonmail that tried signing up, but they got blocked. Those that were interested in joining the site used the contact us function to ask about it.

I don't know exactly what part I have configured, but I am regularly seeing users "registering" and their accounts never get created. I know that many of them are going to be bots, but they never get through. Most of what I get notices on are ones from the lengthy email block list that I've compiled over the years. I have had a few real users that were using stuff like Protonmail that tried signing up, but they got blocked. Those that were interested in joining the site used the contact us function to ask about it.
If you can control the SEO functions of that page, I'd set it to "no follow" and see if that gets reduced.

I just wonder if its search bots for the gazillion search engines out there!

I keep an eye out on any new members who join. If I don't recognize their username, I'll look up their IP address and email. There I can figure out if they're just a human spammer. I've had a couple slip through and actually post on Thee Zone, but I quickly took action and not only ban their accounts, I deleted all posts made by them too.

I just wonder if its search bots for the gazillion search engines out there!
A lot of that is taken care of by CloudFlare. Good bots get allowed in (those that CF has seen and know are good). Others that have a history of being naught get kicked to the curb at the CF level so the site never sees them.
Most of the good bots honor robots.txt, and the registration page is off limits in it.

I keep an eye out on any new members who join. If I don't recognize their username, I'll look up their IP address and email.
Generally when I see them in the online user list as registering, I click on their IP and if if they are coming in through a VPN that shows as a spam source, the entire ASN of that IP gets put into CF WAF that requires managed challenges. That list very rarely has any successful challenges listed when I check it.

Just was doing some checking... found another on the site that their origination IP showed as a spam source... so that ASN got added into the WAF.
This is for the past 24 hours of that WAF rule.

Screen Shot 2024-06-26 at 10.51.09 PM.png

While it is easier to block bots, human spammers are like any other user. Do you have a mod always online to handle them?

The best way to go about this is to always approve new members and put their first 10 posts under moderation. This can go a long way in helping you understand whether they are on your site to spam or not.

By human spammers, are we talking about human authored spam or human shilling? That's assuming there's no copy and pasting or mass-posting.

Shilling takes a more long-term approach and can look like genuine content like a blog article, even after first glance.

Last edited:

Register

Register on Admin Junkies completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

New Threads

Would You Rather #9

• Start a forum in a popular but highly competitive niche

Votes: 5 17.9%
  • Initiate a forum within a limited-known niche with zero competition

Votes: 23 82.1%
Win this space by entering the Website of The Month Contest

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic Backgrounds