Welcome to Admin Junkies, Guest — join our community!

Register or log in to explore all our content and services for free on Admin Junkies.

How to keep your forum up to date?

Cedric

Captain Junkie
Administrator
Credits
As a discussion from my recent article: Starting a new forum in 2023 - Another important factor is staying up to date. Your competition is most probably already looking to improve. So why wouldn't you ?

1. Regularly update your software and plugins: Make sure that you are using the latest version of your forum software and any plugins or extensions. These updates often include security fixes and new features, which can help keep your forum running smoothly and securely.
  2. Monitor for issues: Keep an eye out for any issues or errors on your forum, and address them promptly. This can help prevent small problems from becoming larger issues.
  3. Stay current with industry trends: Keep up with the latest trends and best practices in online communities and forums, and consider implementing new ideas and strategies to improve your forum.
  4. Add new features and functionality: Consider adding new features or functionality to your forum to keep things fresh and engaging for your members. This could include new forums, games, or other interactive elements.
  5. Seek feedback: Ask your members for feedback and suggestions on how to improve your forum. This can help you stay attuned to their needs and keep your forum relevant and engaging.

Do you keep your websites, blogs and forums up to date ? Or do you wait for more stable releases?

Content is the key, your forum needs to have a few topics as posts. If you don't have too many users, you as an admin can create posts and ask the moderators to contribute to the discussion.

I have also done sock accounts and even posted topics/threads on them before too. That can sometimes even help too IMO.

For me, updating server software through WHM and Terminal. Also updating php versions and script versions when needed.

I don't have to worry about upgrading software and plugins since I'm on free software that essentially auto-updates.

As soon as I post new resources, I add them to the proper code/skin index, post about it on Discord, and modify a few things relevant to the resources. This is one of the things I primarily keep updated.

If I find coding errors, they are usually taken care of immediately. Though, most coding errors are caught before we add them to the board.

I keep all of my software up to date (thankfully there is an Automatic update feature). Otherwise, if things were more manual (ex; major release updates 5.5 -> 5.6 or 5.x -> 6.x) I tend to handle these a few weeks after they are out, but still far before the current version I am on is marked EOL.

In my world, the only lag I have is between what's on my computer and what's on the server because I am my own software vendor and plugin author...

Register

Register on Admin Junkies completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Activity
So far there's no one here

Users who are viewing this thread

Would You Rather #9

• Start a forum in a popular but highly competitive niche

Votes: 5 22.7%
  • Initiate a forum within a limited-known niche with zero competition

Votes: 17 77.3%
Win this space by entering the Website of The Month Contest

Theme editor