Welcome to Admin Junkies, Guest ā€” join our community!

Register or log in to explore all our content and services for free on Admin Junkies.

šŸ”’ Security How to Install a Letā€™s Encrypt SSL Certificate

For threads on securing websites and protecting against vulnerabilities.

Nomad

Service Team
Service Team
Credits
Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) certificates play a crucial role in encrypting and securing data on websites. These certificates are essential for safeguarding sensitive information from potential data theft and malicious attacks on websites. SSL certificates can be purchased from your web host and the cost associated with these SSL certificates depends on the type of SSL certificate you are buying. Interestingly, Let's Encrypt offers an appealing alternative for a paid SSL certificate. Letā€™s Encrypt SSL certificates are DV SSL certificates that you can use for free for a lifetime. You will have to renew frequently, though.

These days, it is very common for web hosting providers to offer support for Let's Encrypt SSL certificates that eliminate the need for manual installation. However, some web hosts do not offer support for Letā€™s Encrypt and if that is the case, you will have to undertake the installation process manually.

Some content management systems, for example, WordPress, offer a lot of plugins that allow you to integrate Let's Encrypt SSL certificates with a few clicks. All you need to do is install and activate the plugin and follow the instructions. However, if the CMS you use does not offer a plugin, you will have to do it on your own.

Do you have the skills to add the Letā€™s Encrypt certificate manually?

I don't have the skills, unfortunately. I found it very confusing. However, I am good at installing forum and blog software via cPanel without Softalicious and I could learn to install Let's Encrypt with more effort and a better explanation.

I remember setting them up in 2016. Windows servers were the worst since certbot hadnā€™t been properly released at that point? (Maybe it has now? I havenā€™t hosted on actual Windows since 2017 and even my local dev is Docker on Windows)

Linux servers without cPanel are a pain too but if youā€™re reasonably familiar with the Apache / nginx configuration file itā€™s not too bad.

It's good to have an idea based on the hosting you use. If you go with free hosting you don't have much of a choice, though Jcink I hear is negotiable. Godaddy has the silver crown of being a PITA with this.

Willingness to embrace the bare minimum internet security standard is a reasonably important dealmaker/breaker to watch if you're in the very low resource/technical skill end of community management.

My server runs DirectAdmin, I can order up a Let's Encrypt SSL Cert and the approval takes a few minutes and the installation is automatic. It's a breeze.

My customers who I host can also access DirectAdmin and do this as well, or I can do it for them.

Register

Register on Admin Junkies completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Activity
So far there's no one here

Users who are viewing this thread

Would You Rather #9

• Start a forum in a popular but highly competitive niche

Votes: 5 21.7%
  • Initiate a forum within a limited-known niche with zero competition

Votes: 18 78.3%
Win this space by entering the Website of The Month Contest

Theme editor