Welcome to Admin Junkies, Guest — join our community!

Register or log in to explore all our content and services for free on Admin Junkies.

How to encourage user-generated content ?

Cedric

Captain Junkie
Administrator
Credits
As a discussion from my recent article: Starting a new forum in 2023 - Encouraging user-generated content can be a great way to keep your forum fresh and engaging for your members. Here are a few tips to help you encourage user-generated content:

1. Make it easy for users to contribute: Make it easy for users to create and share content on your forum. This could include adding a blog or articles section, or allowing users to upload videos or photos.
  2. Create prompts or challenges: Pose questions or prompts to inspire users to create and share content. This could be a weekly writing prompt, a photo challenge, or any other type of creative challenge.
  3. Offer incentives: Consider offering incentives for users who contribute content to your forum. This could be recognition, such as featuring their content on your homepage, or more tangible rewards, such as discounts or prizes.
  4. Make it fun: Encourage users to have fun and be creative with their content. This can help to create a positive and welcoming atmosphere that encourages participation.
  5. Foster a sense of community ownership: Encourage users to feel like they are a part of the community by involving them in the decision-making process and asking for their feedback and ideas.

What do you do to keep your content coming and fresh? Do you have tips for creating content ?

When posting a discussion I try to leave open ended questions and allow the user to reply with their thoughts and opinions. For example if I made a thread on "worst movie of 2022" I'd leave it open ended for a user to respond to. I'd maybe look up a list or so online and maybe include a movie or two from this list.

I have managed user-generated article sites as well as forums. In my experience, unless you offer some kind of incentive, you cannot get people to contribute to your site.

I have managed user-generated article sites as well as forums. In my experience, unless you offer some kind of incentive, you cannot get people to contribute to your site.
It is honestly a pain in the butt indeed... It's true, sadly.

All I really offer in exchange for user-generated content is points people can gain to purchase items in our shop, which doesn't seem to be very effective. But since I own a resource board, I try to keep focused on the resources, support, and code requests the most. I get daily logins, but sometimes I don't get daily posts. I could probably do more to try and gain more user-generated content, but I think my being the primary provider of resources, support, and code requests for my board are essentially fulfilling its purpose.

It is always not easy to get members to comment or contribute on a forum, but I doubt there will not be some members that are there just to interact and not because of money. I visit some sites just to get updates on what is happening in areas where I have deep interest.

Register

Register on Admin Junkies completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Activity
So far there's no one here

Users who are viewing this thread

Would You Rather #9

• Start a forum in a popular but highly competitive niche

Votes: 5 22.7%
  • Initiate a forum within a limited-known niche with zero competition

Votes: 17 77.3%
Win this space by entering the Website of The Month Contest

Theme editor