Welcome to Admin Junkies, Guest — join our community!

Register or log in to explore all our content and services for free on Admin Junkies.

👩‍💻 Freelance Services How Do You Avoid Getting Scammed as a Freelancer?

Sharing experiences, advice, and questions about freelancing.

Nomad

Service Team
Service Team
Credits
The first freelancing job I did got me scammed. I was hired on a freelancing site called Guru after I delivered my work, the client disappeared. Here are a few things I do these days to avoid getting scammed.

I avoid taking orders on social media platforms and do not use less popular freelancing platforms.

When I am working with a new client, or a transaction involving higher amount, I use Escrow service. Escrow secures fund and will release to you after you submit your work.

Have you ever been scammed? How do you avoid getting scammed? By the way, working on well-established freelance platforms like Fiverr or Upwork is generally safer since there's less chance of being cheated by clients.

PayPal has a system to protect people. In that case, tons of people probably use PayPal for that reason. Well, if things go wrong, PayPal can refund your money. It's as simple as that.

If I ever go down the route of freelance work, I will avoid using less popular platforms. I will also ask for payment up front, and then do the work if I can.

I got scammed once doing some freelance coding work for a forum. I did quite a bit of work for them and he paid up front, but after I was finished, he filed a PayPal chargeback to get his money back, which he did. I didn't even know that was a thing at the time.

If I ever go down the route of freelance work, I will avoid using less popular platforms. I will also ask for payment up front, and then do the work if I can.
Problem with that is the "scamming" goes both ways. Most people will not pay up front for something.
They may pay based upon a percentage by status of work completed (thinking programmers/developers here).
The best solution for both is the use of an escrow service for payment and a CLEARLY written contract of what is expected to be provided and a defined method of settling any dispute.
Just because someone is doing it as a sideline job or a hobby getting paid for something they enjoy doing does not mean that you should not be professional in your contractual agreements. It should be treated the same as a multi-billion dollar company entering a contract for services.

Register

Register on Admin Junkies completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Activity
So far there's no one here

Users who are viewing this thread

Would You Rather #9

• Start a forum in a popular but highly competitive niche

Votes: 5 22.7%
  • Initiate a forum within a limited-known niche with zero competition

Votes: 17 77.3%
Win this space by entering the Website of The Month Contest

Theme editor