Welcome to Admin Junkies, Guest — join our community!

Register or log in to explore all our content and services for free on Admin Junkies.

How do I move My SMF forum to a new domain?

Nomad

Service Team
Service Team
Credits
I have a forum that I moved to my current host from another web host a couple of months ago. Since I wanted to get a new domain name for my forum, I let it expire. Now I want to change the domain name for the forum, how do I move database and websites to a new domain. I have limited skill in these things, so I would prefer an easy process.

If you have the files and your database dump safely stored, it's not that hard of a job.
But you are going to have to provide more information.... are you changing hosting? Or is it on the same host?
Panel or no panel use? If panel, what panel are you using?
It will save folks a lot of time if you can give more data.
I've got a feeling it's a cPanel setup, and that should not be that hard to do as you create your new "domain hosting" in it, copy the files from the old one over to the new directory for the "new domain" and then edit your ACP settings (either via SQL or the SMF ACP if you can access it) to reflect the new domain.

It may also be beneficial to edit the new link and directories in the ACP right before you do the move.
If the old domain is still "live" that is the best solution and then save it with the new data... but if it's already gone dead, you have to hope that the ACP doesn't mandate the domain and you can address it via the new one, or you can edit that field in the database (not something someone unfamiliar really needs to be doing).

I believe if that’s the case, PhpMyAdmin will be able to solve that. :D
Yes...but as with any tool... one must know what one is editing before one makes changes. It's REALLY easy to prang a database if you don't know what you are doing.
I compare that to folks that edit PHP files without making a backup of the original before they begin edits. There's a reason that experienced folks tell you to copy those files to an php.original or a .php.orig file.

Register

Register on Admin Junkies completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Activity
So far there's no one here

Users who are viewing this thread

Would You Rather #9

• Start a forum in a popular but highly competitive niche

Votes: 5 21.7%
  • Initiate a forum within a limited-known niche with zero competition

Votes: 18 78.3%
Win this space by entering the Website of The Month Contest

Theme editor