Welcome to Admin Junkies, Guest — join our community!

Register or log in to explore all our content and services for free on Admin Junkies.

• Admin Junkies is proud to announce 📣 an awesome ☀️ summer special on ✍️ Content Bundles for YOUR forums! Kickstart your discussions with a Content Bundle. For the entire month of June, use the promo code AJSUMMER 🎉 to receive 50% 🎁 off your content bundle. For example, a package that normally only costs 100 Credits will only cost 50 💰 credits. Full news here.

Have you ever been hacked?

Izaya

Credits
Pretty self-explanatory :) I wasn't hacked necessarily however my psycho co-owner thought it would be a great idea to have a dummy admin account so when his original account was banned, unknown to me, he had dummy admin account and was able to do some damage on the site.

Advertisement Placeholder
yes. When I was hosted with Hostclearly.com I was hacked 2 or 3 times. As soon as I left the hacking stopped so that seemed quite fishy to me.

I constantly worry about it, and I think the question is how do you prevent it?
Good passwords, hosting and making sure scripts are up to date. In the end, nothing is really unhackable so much as how do you secure yourself not to make it totally easy i.e. giving someone unnecessary access

Pretty self-explanatory :smiley: I wasn't hacked necessarily however my psycho co-owner thought it would be a great idea to have a dummy admin account so when his original account was banned, unknown to me, he had dummy admin account and was able to do some damage on the site.

Psycho co-owners are the bane of my existence. That sucks. Were you able to recover the forum?

yes. When I was hosted with Hostclearly.com I was hacked 2 or 3 times. As soon as I left the hacking stopped so that seemed quite fishy to me.

That's fishy. I've never used hostclearly.com before. Do they have a good reputation?

Good passwords, hosting and making sure scripts are up to date. In the end, nothing is really unhackable so much as how do you secure yourself not to make it totally easy i.e. giving someone unnecessary access

This. Exactly! You have to make sure everything is up to date. Also, you need be checking up on it constantly.

I take security of my websites pretty seriously. Passwords reset every month, two factor authentication, complex passwords, the whole ordeal even for my members. I even have .htaccess files secured in case of a hack. I'm pretty prepared personally, probably over prepared. :p

I take security of my websites pretty seriously. Passwords reset every month, two factor authentication, complex passwords, the whole ordeal even for my members. I even have .htaccess files secured in case of a hack. I'm pretty prepared personally, probably over prepared. :yum:

Two-factor authentication? Is that the two step login where it asks your login and then the sms verification code?

Two-factor authentication? Is that the two step login where it asks your login and then the sms verification code?

I know on here the staff have it, (members might too.) and it goes through an app on your phone and you enter a little code. Other companies use SMS authentication, or email codes.

I personally love SMS authentication and would encourage everyone to use it for their websites.

I have had a few people threaten to hack and shut down my forum. One actually knocked it offline a few times but it took me all of 2 minutes to get it back up. Egg on his face for wasting his time. It is completely protected.

Dozens of times. It's the pary You have to pay for using free open source CMS like WordPress.

Register

Register on Admin Junkies completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Who read this thread (Total readers: 0)
No registered users viewing this thread.

Would You Rather #9

• Start a forum in a popular but highly competitive niche

Votes: 5 17.9%
  • Initiate a forum within a limited-known niche with zero competition

Votes: 23 82.1%
Win this space by entering the Website of The Month Contest

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic Backgrounds

Granite Backgrounds