Welcome to Admin Junkies, Guest — join our community!

Register or log in to explore all our content and services for free on Admin Junkies.

Is it necessary to have a co-admin right from the beginning?

Cedric

Captain Junkie
Administrator
Credits
I've been pondering a question that I'm sure many of you have also encountered when starting a forum: Is it necessary to have a co-admin right from the beginning? As forum owners, we are responsible for managing and moderating our communities, but should we consider sharing the administrative duties with another person? Does it motivate you less or more when you have someone else on the admin team?

On one hand, having a co-admin can bring several advantages. Firstly, it provides additional support and helps distribute the workload, especially in the early stages when the forum is growing rapidly. With a co-admin, you can divide tasks such as content moderation, member management, and technical maintenance, ensuring that the forum runs smoothly and efficiently.

Moreover, having a co-admin introduces diverse perspectives and skills to the table. Different individuals bring their unique experiences, ideas, and expertise, which can greatly enrich the forum's overall management and decision-making processes. Additionally, in the event of unexpected circumstances like personal emergencies or vacation periods, a co-admin can step in and ensure the forum's continuity without interruptions.

On the other hand, some may argue that having a co-admin can complicate matters. Trust and coordination become critical factors when sharing administrative privileges, as a disagreement or miscommunication between co-admins could potentially disrupt the forum's operations. Additionally, having multiple administrators might dilute the forum's vision and direction, leading to conflicts of interest or differing management approaches.

So, what are your thoughts? Have you started a forum with or without a co-admin? If yes, how has it impacted your experience? If not, what factors influenced your decision? Do you believe having a co-admin is essential or optional when starting a forum? What are the pros and cons in your opinion?

Let's dive into this discussion and hear from the experienced forum owners and those who are contemplating starting their own forums. Share your insights, personal experiences, and any advice you might have!

Looking forward to your valuable input!

My community's lead admin has been helping with stream moderation, discord and guilded moderation. He can also do some moderation and admin duties on the forums if needed, but we have a lot of anti-spam and auto-mod enabled features to help with our community, since we are a PG community, after all. :)

I have not always had a co-admin from the beginning. It depends on the community. On my last project, Atrium, I knew I had a vision in mind for the forum to be a multi-type forum. It was of course general, but I wanted it to be heavy on graphics community as well and provide a place to go as there weren't many places anymore. I wanted us to host the resources for communities as the old ones were dying off. We also had advertising and an administration discussion area as well. With all these different areas I knew it would be best to host a community with multiple admins. We began with 4 when starting the project, one was for the technical side of things - one was for community discussion - one for the graphics/admin side of things, and also me who was for overall community/contest and etc. It worked out pretty well - of course we only started with the 3 admins. We worked together consistently with skype calls and discord chats. I think having a real team helped us reach the needs of all users. While if it was one of solely alone - I don't think we would have the capacity to reach everyone that we did.

Previous communities before that, I was always the sole person and it became too much for my plate. I stress myself out and wear myself down - burn out is real! Having a 2nd admin can help take some of the load off the plate.

I usually never have a co-admin when the community is brand new. Once it starts to grow and there's a need for more staff, I'll think about hiring a co-admin to help me out. I did have a co-admin on my largest forum back in the day though, it was when I was still new to owning a forum and he was familiar with phpBB so I needed that extra help at the time. I hired him not too long after the forum opened, but it was rapidly growing too.

I don't think it is necessary to have a co-admin right from the beginning. Only when the forum grows enough and it becomes difficult for one person to manage it, a moderator or two might be hired. A co-admin might be hired when it becomes too much for the admin to take care even after having a couple of moderators.

I want it all for myself :p Nope

No Way Ugh GIF

When I started my latest forum project, I really wanted a co-admin. First it would help to bounce topics between the two of us so that I wasn't the only person writing content for the forum, but I had learned the hard way that if something happens to me and there's nobody to take over in the pilot's chair, well, then the forum dies, people get angry, and friendships die out. However, since I've been running my forum for nearly three years now, and STILL have a lack of participation, I don't really need the co-admin right now, although, as I already mentioned, it would be nice to have another active voice on the forum.

Besides, it's difficult to role play with only one person (me!) LOL

When I started my latest forum project, I really wanted a co-admin. First it would help to bounce topics between the two of us so that I wasn't the only person writing content for the forum, but I had learned the hard way that if something happens to me and there's nobody to take over in the pilot's chair, well, then the forum dies, people get angry, and friendships die out. However, since I've been running my forum for nearly three years now, and STILL have a lack of participation, I don't really need the co-admin right now, although, as I already mentioned, it would be nice to have another active voice on the forum.

Besides, it's difficult to role play with only one person (me!) LOL
I believe true friendships last as long as the members are proactive and considered the possibility the forum could go down at some point :( !

I usually never have a co-admin when the community is brand new. Once it starts to grow and there's a need for more staff, I'll think about hiring a co-admin to help me out. I did have a co-admin on my largest forum back in the day though, it was when I was still new to owning a forum and he was familiar with phpBB so I needed that extra help at the time. I hired him not too long after the forum opened, but it was rapidly growing too.
Well, you have your new friend now ;)

Additionally, having multiple administrators might dilute the forum's vision and direction, leading to conflicts of interest or differing management approaches.

This line here really resonates with me. I've always had a vision when creating a new forum. A lot of times I found that having a Co-Admin wasn't always the best situation. I think you can open up the forum initially as a sole admin and as you get more activity, then scope out the ones who believe the most in your vision, who also have your trust. You can build your forum around them, making them co-admins or even just regular mods or VIP.

This line here really resonates with me. I've always had a vision when creating a new forum. A lot of times I found that having a Co-Admin wasn't always the best situation. I think you can open up the forum initially as a sole admin and as you get more activity, then scope out the ones who believe the most in your vision, who also have your trust. You can build your forum around them, making them co-admins or even just regular mods or VIP.
Agreed, but being open to feedback os key, whether that be from your co-admin or user feedback, etc. And seeking out feedback in webmaster communities like this is helpful :) !

There will be feedback. I will have a section for community concerns and such where members can voice their opinion and overall ideas on the future of the community. I just think too many leaders will dilute the overall vision before it is even manifested. Plus being admin means being the creator of the forum, in which I hope you have a passion for the subject matter, otherwise why open the forum in the first place? I’m not one to create a generic forum but I put a lot of time and effort into making something unique. Something people need that they didn’t even know they needed. So maybe my opinion is a little skewed.

There will be feedback. I will have a section for community concerns and such where members can voice their opinion and overall ideas on the future of the community. I just think too many leaders will dilute the overall vision before it is even manifested. Plus being admin means being the creator of the forum, in which I hope you have a passion for the subject matter, otherwise why open the forum in the first place? I’m not one to create a generic forum but I put a lot of time and effort into making something unique. Something people need that they didn’t even know they needed. So maybe my opinion is a little skewed.
💯
Also ensure your co-admin is one you completely trust and not one who’s power-hungry.

Register

Register on Admin Junkies completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Activity
So far there's no one here

Users who are viewing this thread

New Threads

Would You Rather #9

• Start a forum in a popular but highly competitive niche

Votes: 5 20.8%
  • Initiate a forum within a limited-known niche with zero competition

Votes: 19 79.2%
Win this space by entering the Website of The Month Contest