Welcome to Admin Junkies, Guest — join our community!

Register or log in to explore all our content and services for free on Admin Junkies.

💁 Member Support Have any of your members complained of being banned by forum software?

Dedicated to strategies for supporting and guiding community members.

Heatman

Service Team
Service Team
Top Performer
Credits
I recently had an experience when I tried registering on a forum that was set up by Invision community software where my registration was blocked. I contacted the forum owner to know why I couldn't register. He told me that my email account was flagged for being a level 3 spammer which was why I got blocked.

Have you ever had such report with your forum members?

Nope, I have not had that happen, and also what was the site at the time, I have many accounts that get banned right away as soon as the system detects there IPs address or email and I always wondering if it's real or not.

In plenty of cases people might be flagged/shadow/full banned in this way, shrug and say oh well and never return. I've done that frankly, as yes, I've registered with blacklisted ips and such. I've also seen it and try to manually remediate if they reach out or express concern in an adjacent community. But there's not much you can do if you stay hygenic with a proxy, but your proxy has been used by unsavory folks. Board owners are compelled to deal with abuse and it's not unreasonable to strike out known problem sources, especially proxies. Or you just have a very funneled connection, often happening to international regions where someone causes a problem and an effective ip block will take out a large range, including collateral legit users. An important step is to offer a path to resolve if it's in error. If there's no message, no path to remediate and it 'just doesn't work', the chances of just losing someone spikes.

Usually this is IP and not email based though, I've never had an email get whacked for this. Now I can see something like this happening to emails from independent mail servers which often are pre-emptively, unfairly knocked and it takes tedious time and even money to get that straightened out. Obscure providers could see this issue. On the flipside sometimes there will be tech against gmail, proton. I don't sign up to such places.

Register

Register on Admin Junkies completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Activity
So far there's no one here

Users who are viewing this thread

Would You Rather #9

• Start a forum in a popular but highly competitive niche

Votes: 5 20.8%
  • Initiate a forum within a limited-known niche with zero competition

Votes: 19 79.2%
Win this space by entering the Website of The Month Contest

Theme editor