Welcome to Admin Junkies, Guest — join our community!

Register or log in to explore all our content and services for free on Admin Junkies.

FSS #2: Inflammatory and offensive content

Cedric

Captain Junkie
Administrator
Credits
FSS #2: Inflammatory and offensive content

Welcome to the second scenario posted in our Forum Scenario Series. Please remember: respect everyone's opinion. Debate with other fellow members how you would handle this situations without causing collateral damage and bringing the situation to its best result.

What to do if a member of the community is consistently posting inflammatory or offensive content. This can be a delicate situation to handle, as it's important to balance the need to maintain a respectful and welcoming community with the principles of free speech and allowing for diverse viewpoints.
  • What steps should be taken to address the problematic behavior?
  • Is it possible to have a constructive conversation with the member about their behavior and try to find a resolution?
  • At what point does the behavior become so detrimental to the community that the member should be banned or removed?
  • How can the community come to a consensus on the best course of action?
It might also be helpful to consider what guidelines or policies the forum has in place for addressing problematic behavior, and whether they are effective in addressing this type of situation.

I would immediately put them on moderation, where I (or moderators) approve their content before they post.

If they questioned it, I would explain why.

I'd instruct them not to post that sort of content. I'd tell them that I don't want to see it and other forums allow it. I'd be nice about it.

If they agreed with me, I'd take them off moderation.

If they break the agreement, I'd likely issue a ban.

Continuing to give chances for that IMO is letting people walk on you.

• What steps should be taken to address the problematic behavior?
  • Is it possible to have a constructive conversation with the member about their behavior and try to find a resolution?
  • At what point does the behavior become so detrimental to the community that the member should be banned or removed?
  • How can the community come to a consensus on the best course of action?
- Remove the content every time it is posted from public view. Curb it and nip it in the bud.
- Honestly with how jaded and cynical I am... Maybe? Sometimes users/people do not see what they are doing is bad or anything, so yeah. I'd try and tell them to stop, but if they continue on they will be removed as a member.
- After I have a discussion or talk with them, and they continue on I do think a temp ban maybe needed. I believe bans should be a last resort unless you are a spammer/spam bot. I also think as stated above maybe putting them on moderation over a ban for a bit.
- As for the final point I generally never have had open discussions about a person being removed from my forum.

It all depends on the extremities of the content being posted. If it's directly violating the forum software's TOS or possibly even the forum's TOS itself, then a ban may be necessary. If it's not as extreme, remove the content and then contact the member ASAP to let them know that those types of posts are not tolerated on the board and could result in termination from the community. If they don't continue, you did the right thing by contacting them. If they do continue, then either a temp ban or ban may be necessary.

Register

Register on Admin Junkies completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Activity
So far there's no one here

Users who are viewing this thread

Would You Rather #9

• Start a forum in a popular but highly competitive niche

Votes: 5 20.8%
  • Initiate a forum within a limited-known niche with zero competition

Votes: 19 79.2%
Win this space by entering the Website of The Month Contest

Theme editor