Welcome to Admin Junkies, Guest — join our community!

Register or log in to explore all our content and services for free on Admin Junkies.

Fixed or fluid design ?

Cedric

Captain Junkie
Administrator
Credits
As a web designer, you know that choosing the right layout for your website is crucial in delivering an optimal user experience. There are two popular layout design types: fixed and fluid.

Fixed design refers to a website layout that has a set width and does not change, regardless of the size of the screen or device being used. This design type is known for its consistency and predictability, making it easier for designers to create a clean and organized layout. Fluid design refers to a layout that adjusts to the size of the screen or device, providing a more dynamic and flexible layout that adapts to different devices and screen sizes.

So, what do you prefer and why?

I haven't met any web designer who seriously argued for fixed design after it became clear that smartphones were here to stay and that 'no, I don't want an app' became a viable answer once media queries existed (and thus responsive design became possible)

The only people who end up making fixed designs at this point are the people who don't know how to make fluid ones, because no-one is going to willingly turn down an audience segment.

I've always used fluid designs in all of the themes I catered to. It makes the theme impression overall better and like Arantor was saying, it's good for smartphone devices. I don't understand why you would use a fixed design when it won't look good across all resolutions.

I have always preferred fluid over fixed if I am honest. It's unfortunate that sometimes themes I like only have a fixed option and not a fluid option but I am able to tolerate it If that is the only option available at the time.

Definitely fluid design. Especially because we live in a time where smart devices are a part of everyday life.

Register

Register on Admin Junkies completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Activity
So far there's no one here

Users who are viewing this thread

Would You Rather #9

• Start a forum in a popular but highly competitive niche

Votes: 5 20.8%
  • Initiate a forum within a limited-known niche with zero competition

Votes: 19 79.2%
Win this space by entering the Website of The Month Contest

Theme editor