Welcome to Admin Junkies, Guest — join our community!

Register or log in to explore all our content and services for free on Admin Junkies.

• Admin Junkies is proud to announce 📣 an awesome ☀️ summer special on ✍️ Content Bundles for YOUR forums! Kickstart your discussions with a Content Bundle. For the entire month of June, use the promo code AJSUMMER 🎉 to receive 50% 🎁 off your content bundle. For example, a package that normally only costs 100 Credits will only cost 50 💰 credits. Full news here.

First-Year Forum Survival — How Do You Keep Your Community Alive and Thriving?

Credits
Admin Junkies has been open for almost a year. We’ve seen many forums come and go. Over the past year, I've noticed a recurring trend: many new forums, despite their initial spark and enthusiasm, struggle to make it past their first year. I've eagerly jumped on board countless times, hoping to be part of vibrant, growing communities, only to return months later and find them eerily silent or, in some cases, completely shut down.

While the digital graveyard of dormant forums grows, I can't help but wonder: What does it take for a forum to not only survive its first year but thrive?

Are there strategies, tools, or community-building hacks that can keep a forum buzzing with activity? Is there a secret sauce to a loyal member base?

I'd love to hear from community owners, moderators, and active forum members:

Engagement Tactics: What are your go-to strategies for keeping members engaged, involved, and coming back?

People often forget that community involvement is most importantly and first of all, coming from the owner itself.

Content Creation: How do you ensure there's a steady flow of fresh, relevant content that resonates with your audience?

You’ll need to scout, research and create topics that create engagement, day after day. But more importantly, make unique content, give it a personal touch.

Moderation Balance: How do you strike the right balance between keeping discussions civil without stifling authentic conversations?

These days, you don’t want to be too strict and scare away people. Invite them in a welcoming and warm community. Let them go off topic, but keep it under control and split the off topic if it gets out of hand.

Feedback Loop: How often do you seek feedback from members? Are there specific methods or tools you use to gather insights?

Your members are often right when it comes to requesting features. Thank them for implemented features. Send them a PM and ask if they enjoy yourself. More than ever is it important to build a good relationship with your members.

Monetization: Is there a subtle way to monetize without pushing users away or compromising the forum's integrity?

I can’t say this enough: the moment you have too much advertisements on, is the moment you’ll lose valued members and some guests wouldn’t even bother to join to begin with.

As someone genuinely passionate about online communities, I believe there's immense value in learning from each other's experiences. Let's help the next wave of forum owners avoid the pitfalls and build lasting, active communities!

Advertisement Placeholder
These are all good questions, but they're not the most important questions.

1. What is your personal persistence and motivation in making a forum?

2. What's your strategy?

What motivated you to create a forum? Surely there should be a reason why you create a forum in the first place or at least there should be a reason. If you don't have a specific reason as to why you opened the forum in the first place, you might end up closing the forum down before it really has time to shine.

Monetization: Is there a subtle way to monetize without pushing users away or compromising the forum's integrity?

I can’t say this enough: the moment you have too much advertisements on, is the moment you’ll lose valued members and some guests wouldn’t even bother to join to begin with.

On this point I have two principles. First, I won't ever put ads on until such a time as there would be real benefit from doing so due to an increase in traffic. Second, I make it a positive of registration that only guests see ads. You doubt you get many clicks from registered users as they're on your forum for the content. Guests, however, are likely to come, view what they searched for and then move on.

As an owner of a new forum, you will need to put up some topics on which members can start discussion. It's better to have easy, relevant, fun and engaging topics to start with. Topics related to their day to day life can be a great ice breaker. If the topics need too much thinking before commenting on them, there's a high chance that the members will avoid that particular section or maybe the entire forum as well. Most people come to forums to have a chill time not for a brainstorming session.

To keep the members excited, some contests can really help. Bi-weekly or monthly contests might work well. The rewards should be declared upfront and must be pleasing enough. Since, you have just started the forum, you should focus on giving more instead of how much you'll get back. Give all you've got to the members, they'll surely give you back. 😊

keep the faith… and hope that.
Faith and hope are not going to cut it.

Consistency. Content. Investment. Outreach. Networking.

You need a passion project. A niche. Something no-one else is doing or something no-one is doing like you are or as well as you are. There are hundreds of thousands of general discussion boards. Tens of thousands of general gaming boards. Hundreds if not thousands of webmaster boards.

The successful ones are not built on hope and faith but on dedication, hard work, blood/sweat/tears.

Register

Register on Admin Junkies completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Who read this thread (Total readers: 0)
No registered users viewing this thread.

Would You Rather #9

• Start a forum in a popular but highly competitive niche

Votes: 5 18.5%
  • Initiate a forum within a limited-known niche with zero competition

Votes: 22 81.5%
Win this space by entering the Website of The Month Contest

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic Backgrounds

Granite Backgrounds