Welcome to Admin Junkies, Guest — join our community!

Register or log in to explore all our content and services for free on Admin Junkies.

Favourite framework

Dilip

Recognized member
Credits
Which is your favourite framework? Do you work from scratch while building a website?

Do you hate frameworks?

I use whatever tool for the job makes the most sense. For most of what I do at work, that's WordPress plus a proprietary custom theme (that's kind of a framework in its own right actually), and when that's not the tool for the job, I inevitably break out Laravel + Nova since it's quicker to do that than to build my own dashboards.

For CSS frameworks, I still tend to go Bootstrap because it has most of the things I actually need ready to go in a way that Tailwind doesn't - it's quicker for me to take a Bootstrap alert, say, and style it than it is to write the relevant equivalents in Tailwind from more-like-scratch.

I think the only framework I at least know some of is Bootstrap. I've never dabbled much with any other framework.

I hate learning new frameworks, I'd rather just use the plain old coding languages than learn a whole new framework.

I use Bootstrap as a CSS framework, as I'm comfortable with it, and CodeIgniter for the PHP side of things.
Tried Laravel, didn't find it fun to use.

Everyone is crazy about Laravel these days. They have many paid modules and are making good money as well.

Personally, I like frameworks. Makes a lot of things easier.

My favorite would be Foundation. It is pretty easy to learn and use. The documentation on it is really well done aswell.

Last edited:
I exclusively use Laminas/Mezzio depending on the project plus Bootstrap. The reason I prefer Laminas, is that you can use the MVC or just the components you need whether that is just the service manager and event manager and http or whatever. It also probably plays nicely with other frameworks/libraries/components than any other Php framework. But, i'm biased so don't take my word for it :p

I exclusively use Laminas/Mezzio depending on the project plus Bootstrap. The reason I prefer Laminas, is that you can use the MVC or just the components you need whether that is just the service manager and event manager and http or whatever. It also probably plays nicely with other frameworks/libraries/components than any other Php framework. But, i'm biased so don't take my word for it :p
I'm of the opinion of "if it works for you, use it." It's better than chasing the "next best thing/framework/language/whatever". Makes me sane also. That being said, Laminas looks nice. I might poke around and see how it works

I might mention. Some of their docs (Laminas) is outdated... Not to say that they will not work as advertised to get you started.... If you have questions feel free to message me.

They didn't diverge, they used bits of it in component form from before it was called Laminas, then updated once it became Laminas - but as far as I know it's not actually diverged, they just don't use it full fat, mostly because doing so would hinder their ability to cleanly do things like plugins.

@Arantor,
Question my friend, I ask because I know you have looked much further into xenforo than I have... Do they offer a developer license? I know some projects do, some don't. Was wondering if you knew off the top of head if they do or not. Laterz

No, you basically need to buy one yourself or work with someone with a current licence - pretty sure if the licence is current you can be added to it for that sort of reason, but mine isn't current as I'm not actively using it right now.

No, you basically need to buy one yourself or work with someone with a current licence - pretty sure if the licence is current you can be added to it for that sort of reason, but mine isn't current as I'm not actively using it right now.
Well, I can't say I have ever understood that approach for attracting addon developers lol.

The reality is that most of the add-on developers will buy a licence anyway to have a place to sell their add-ons... so not really a big *need* for it. Not any different to vBulletin or IPS.

Well, I can't say I have ever understood that approach for attracting addon developers lol.
You can create private test installations for development as stated in the License agreement:

Before deploying the Software, you must register in the XenForo.com customer area the address (URL) at which You will use the License. This URL must be kept up-to-date. You may create additional test installations for the purpose of testing the Software. Any test installation of this kind must be password protected, installed at a URL that makes the testing purpose clear, not used for production purposes and access to it must be limited to You and Your website staff.

Register

Register on Admin Junkies completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Activity
So far there's no one here

Users who are viewing this thread

New Threads

Would You Rather #9

• Start a forum in a popular but highly competitive niche

Votes: 5 20.8%
  • Initiate a forum within a limited-known niche with zero competition

Votes: 19 79.2%
Win this space by entering the Website of The Month Contest