Welcome to Admin Junkies, Guest — join our community!

Register or log in to explore all our content and services for free on Admin Junkies.

🌐 Domain Insights Every decide a domain cost not worth it?

For discussions focused on choosing, using, and managing domain names.

Tracy

Royal member
Bronze Member
Website
astrowhat.com
Credits
Specifically with their price increasing schemes that they do. I got a domain recently (well, a year ago now as it just expired) for what the .COM/.NET style prices were, and it wasn't on sale. Renewal time rolls around and it's doubled in price now. Sorry, it's just a "catch domain" for me, and it's not really worth paying for one year what I can extend my primary domain for 2 years for.
I'm also moving my domain services from NameSilo over to CloudFlare... for base domains they are about $2 USD cheaper and also provide whois privacy as well. When you have 10-15 domains, that adds up pretty quick. NameSilo keeps increasing their prices above what the "real" increase is where CloudFlare simply passes on that increase directly.
One thing to be aware of if you do transfer into CloudFlare... most of the domains are hard set to renew for an additional year... no getting around that. So you may not want to do this until a large number of your domains are set to expire near the same time.

Last edited:
15 Domains to be able to pay for does end up being costly and the worst part about it is that it's just about all host companies that are putting the costs up. I remember buying a domain as low as $5 and now for the same name it's $28 a year (seven years old) and end of the day my other domains ended up going over to Namecheap as it's cheaper, but then again after a year or two it goes up again.

15 Domains to be able to pay for does end up being costly and the worst part about it is that it's just about all host companies that are putting the costs up. I remember buying a domain as low as $5 and now for the same name it's $28 a year (seven years old) and end of the day my other domains ended up going over to Namecheap as it's cheaper, but then again after a year or two it goes up again.
Yep... even NameSilo is getting into that "raise the price more" setup. One domain went up (average cost) about 60 cents (USD). NameSilo increased the price by 500% to $3.00 USD increase.
At least with CloudFlare... they are only passing on the actual cost increase currently. Most of my domains renew within about a month or so of each other.. but they are also pre-paid for 2-5 years... so it's no real hurry for me currently other than maybe to get some of the "cheaper" costs for another year of them all with CloudFlare. When I did the check on CF, it was going to be about $150 for all the domains for an additional year. Some of those I won't be keeping (like the .ORG/.NET versions of the sites most likely).

Yeah, I looked at getting a ".forum" domain...

...until I saw the one I wanted cost around $2,000 :p .

Yeah, I looked at getting a ".forum" domain...

...until I saw the one I wanted cost around $2,000 :p .
Yah.... those already owned can be rather expensive to buy from 3rd parties. This is mainly about your existing ones though, or new domains. Like all things, prices are creeping up. Some are only passing on the actual price increase while others are making some additional profit on those small increases. A 500% difference is a pretty healthy one. It amounts to almost a 1/3 of the domain price.
I had a nice one when I was into recumbents (and it was available again last time I looked) but I'm not crazy about spending $30USD for a domain in a hobby I'm not into (my sites usually, but not always, deal with something I'm interested/involved in).

Yeah I always check renewal price before buying it some of them are 10$-30$ registration but 500+ renewal fee lmao

I once owned a .directory domain, it wasn't much to buy, but the annual renewal was $200 and I noped out of that.

Register

Register on Admin Junkies completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Activity
So far there's no one here

Users who are viewing this thread

Would You Rather #9

• Start a forum in a popular but highly competitive niche

Votes: 5 20.8%
  • Initiate a forum within a limited-known niche with zero competition

Votes: 19 79.2%
Win this space by entering the Website of The Month Contest

Theme editor