Welcome to Admin Junkies, Guest — join our community!

Register or log in to explore all our content and services for free on Admin Junkies.

Ever come across server downtime

Timgab

Website
techtime.com.ng
Credits
Have you ever encountered or faced any server downtime issues, be it as a site owner or site user.

There can be several cause for server downtime;
DDoS - Distributed Denial Of Service is an attack by cyber criminals, over flooding your server with fake and bots traffic by doing so will deny genuine users access to the site.

Another cause for server downtime can include bugs: this occurs when there is any part of your site or site plugins that is wrongly coded or miss configured.

Overloaded resources can be responsible; when a site is been overloaded with too much heavy files bet it videos, mp3, images and other.

How was your first encounter?

As site owner what came up your mind that cold be the cause for it? what will be your first step when incident like this occur?

I've had multi-day DDOSes both from people trying to just spam a site to force it off the net and because they realised I was on to them trying to break in and did it out of retaliation.

I've also seen server downtime owing to Apache crashing, Apache fundamental misconfiguration, Apache being hit with bad packets, nginx being hit with bad packets, nginx bugs. Also issues with gunicorn running Python/Django where an update was deployed but gunicorn failed to restart properly.

Rarely overloaded sites in practice, at least not because of actual files; far more often it's traffic causing issues with the database server.

And that's before we get into containers and orchestration going wild for various reasons.

I don't even remember my first, maybe breaking something in ASP Classic in 2000? The last was a DDOS originating from India against a client of mine, mitigated somewhat by CloudFlare.

My board was DDoS'ed multiple times within a week. The forum software owner said it was the worst DDoS attack he recalled seeing. He had to put a verification screen on my board alone to help prevent the DDoS attack, but he eventually removed it.

I remember InvisionFree/ZetaBoards going down occasionally due to server issues with the data center.

I remember when Invisionfree/Zetaboards would have issues and several servers would be down... It was quite frustrating! Sometimes you could find another forum to post at because they were on a different server at least!

Yeah I've encountered this quite a few times on a few forums I would visit quite often. Forum Promotion and Sonic Retro are the two main ones where there were errors either from DDoS attacks or other reasons.

Register

Register on Admin Junkies completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Activity
So far there's no one here

Users who are viewing this thread

New Threads

Would You Rather #9

• Start a forum in a popular but highly competitive niche

Votes: 5 20.8%
  • Initiate a forum within a limited-known niche with zero competition

Votes: 19 79.2%
Win this space by entering the Website of The Month Contest