Welcome to Admin Junkies, Guest — join our community!

Register or log in to explore all our content and services for free on Admin Junkies.

Do you use warning system?

The Raven

Credits
I recall when I was a teenager, all forums had this cool feature (and still do depending on admin) called warning system. One would have a bar under number of posts or whatever which indicates either in percentage or by image how much warnings a member has. Depending on the strike, the percentage will rise until it reaches 100 which causes a member to get ban.

Ban can be permanent or for a few days. But, the positive thing is that warning percentage reduces over time so that a member don't have to worry on being banned when he became good.

Do you use this type of preventing members to make problems or you find it obsolete?

I don't in the case of spambots or extreme spammers. In that case, it's very obvious they're just coming to ruin your site, nothing else, so a disabled account on first strike is used.

I never use the warning system myself, I just usually got by a three strike rule unless the member has broken a severe rule. I have seen a few forums use this system and keep it public, for example Forumotion I believe does this.

I think warning systems are good to have, but what I found the most important is User Notes! This allows for us to have a log communicating and it is easier to read in my opinion. I've previously had a "Warn Log" in the staff area as well so the staff were aware of warnings/multiple warnings.

Yes, but I don't ahve to use it that often never and so that's been very good in terms of that :) That being said I did for the first year with IPS with some idiots but that was a long time ago.

8 warnings points and you are all out with an ban - that if you get eight

I used to use the warning system to deal with simpler things that could be basically boiled down to admin overhead.

E.g. a member with an annoying signature, issue one of the warning templates to remove the signature from public view until the member edits it, and if they do it repeatedly, remove the power permanently for them.

Wedge was ahead of its time.

I've never had to. I don't think I've had many users break the rules over the years. I've had to ban two users for coming to the forum just to post a spam advertisement and then leave, other than that the users of my forum have been well-behaved.

You don't really need this unless you're operating at a scale where a personal touch and manually tracking problem users becomes too much for the forum to moderate smoothly. Then, a built in warning system (and user notes, etc) is a nice way to indicate chances given which can be easily standardized with a wide staff team. Paired with a decent rules structure and the agency to bypass in case of spam or extreme incidents, it can be essential. In any case consistent application is key, as well as the ability to handle lawyering... :cautious:

That can have a negative effect on your forum. Anyone spamming should not be issued a warning point but a direct ban.

Register

Register on Admin Junkies completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Activity
So far there's no one here

Users who are viewing this thread

Would You Rather #9

• Start a forum in a popular but highly competitive niche

Votes: 5 20.8%
  • Initiate a forum within a limited-known niche with zero competition

Votes: 19 79.2%
Win this space by entering the Website of The Month Contest

Theme editor