Welcome to Admin Junkies, Guest — join our community!

Register or log in to explore all our content and services for free on Admin Junkies.

Do you prefer gloss or flat?

Cedric

Captain Junkie
Administrator
Credits
Let's talk design, shall we? Specifically, I want to delve into the ongoing debate between glossy and flat design aesthetics. Gloss is an old trend and flat design slowly but surely took over the internet. When it comes to creating visually appealing websites, we all have our preferences and style. Do we embrace the glossy, polished look that catches the eye and exudes sophistication? Or do we opt for simplicity, focusing on clean lines and minimalism elegance?

On one hand, glossy design can be more beautiful and in depth. It utilizes glossy textures, gradients, and shiny elements to create a sense of depth and dimension. It can make a website feel modern, luxurious, and professional. With glossy design, we have the opportunity to impress visitors and leave a lasting visual impact. It's all about creating that "wow" factor and providing a visually stimulating experience.

On the other hand, simple design holds its own charm and allure. It embraces clean layouts, ample white space, and minimal ornamentation. Simple design is often associated with elegance, clarity, and ease of use. It allows the content to take center stage, offering a seamless and intuitive user experience. With simple design, we prioritize functionality and focus on delivering the message effectively without overwhelming the user with visual elements.

But here's the question: which design approach resonates with you ? Have you experimented with both glossy and flat designs? What factors do you consider when making this decision? Does the nature of the website's content or target audience play a role in your choice? And most importantly, what impact does the design choice have on user engagement and overall satisfaction?

I have always been a fan of glossy design and less so of flat.

I find flat design tends to obscure affordances for usability. Buttons used to look like buttons - they had a very clear “pushability” that flat design ignores. I find glossy designs tend to apply a little more skeumorphism in their approach which makes it easier for people to navigate without explanation.

I miss glossy design.

Does the answer "yes" meet the bill?
It honestly depends entirely on the niche.
Flat definitely has it's uses on certain niche sites... but "bling" does on others. :eek:
One has to look at the "integration" aspects with the niche... for my astronomy site.. I try to avoid (as much as possible) the "bright and shiny"... now, that doesn't mean that I avoid color.. simply that I avoid colors/style that b**tch slap" you in the face.

Glossy doesn’t have to mean “in your face” colour wise, though.

I think both can look good depending on the design. I know most forums these days are more flat. I miss the glossy though! I think glossy feels more homey to me, and flat appears more serious. They don't always look that way, sometimes a flat design can be made to feel homey, just typically they are a bit more serious looking.

I prefer glossy.. Infact I prefer wild and out there.

I miss the days of epic designs that were the norm back in the Zetaboards days.

Example : https://web.archive.org/web/20101126133142/http://gforceforum.com/index/
I know right. ZetaBoards was a prime design example. The cool curves, colorful palettes, sleek, simple, advanced, it all just worked tremendously together. That design era died out when ZetaBoards was done. Such a pity. Luckily we can still use archive.org to find many old themes.

Matte. When I look at a glossy screen it looks great at first. The colours seem better, brighter, everything seems like its sharper, the contrast appears better... but it's all gone the moment I can see my face in its reflection. Such a screen works only in specific light environments, having a window behind your back, for example, is a no-go.

I really miss the glossier designs with a bit of depth. I really do like a lot of flat designs, but there always seemed something pretty special about skins and themes with a fancy image border and a really graphical maintitle :giggle:

Register

Register on Admin Junkies completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Activity
So far there's no one here

Users who are viewing this thread

New Threads

Would You Rather #9

• Start a forum in a popular but highly competitive niche

Votes: 5 21.7%
  • Initiate a forum within a limited-known niche with zero competition

Votes: 18 78.3%
Win this space by entering the Website of The Month Contest