Welcome to Admin Junkies, Guest — join our community!

Register or log in to explore all our content and services for free on Admin Junkies.

Do you like members on your forum to make an introduction thread?

Shortie

Freelance Writer and Video Game Content Creator!
Retired Staff
Website
www.revillution.net
Credits
This is something that got me thinking when people join a forum, some tend to make an introduction thread and others tend to just get right into the discussions as they feel better than way and are not too keen on making an introduction.

As a webmaster and forum owner yourself, do you mind if someone makes an introduction thread or if they choose to just jump into the discussions?

I myself do not mind if they don't make an introduction thread, I feel that is a personal preference and something that those who like to do it can do and those that don't should not feel as though they have to make one.

I don’t mind if they don’t, I know it can be a ball ache writing introductions on every forum! My personal preference would obviously be to have them write an introduction as it’s easier to learn about them and bond over mutual interests other than the forum niche. For example, a couple of members on Storyturner are into gaming and therefore gives me ideas for topics in the general discussion section. I learnt that one is an author, so I know who I can turn to for writing content ideas. So it’s incredibly helpful as both an owner and member to have introductions.

However that being said, they are usually only brief and most, if not all, of that information will be revealed in posts etc over time. So it’s not crucial by any means.

I feel that is a personal preference and something that those who like to do it can do and those that don't should not feel as though they have to make one.

Same. We have an "Introduce Yourself" forum on the one site. It's there if someone wants to use it but it is not required of anyone. We use a 3rd party application to send a welcome PM to new members and give them a run down of the forum along with links and in it we invite them to introduce themselves, but we're not going to force anyone's hand.

Welcoming members is the first thing you need to do, and you can start doing that as a proactive community manager by sending them a personal PM or profile status message. Kindly inform them they are welcome to introduce themselves but no obligation to do so. Those that didn't intend to do an introduction, will most likely do so. They will feel more welcomed and that's half way the road to having an engaging member.

I remember a time when I had an introduction forum only viewable for someone who freshly registered, so in order to see the complete forum they HAD to introduce themselves. That trend went on a lot of forums back in the days of InvisionFree/ZetaBoards. I wouldn't do it nowadays though. Members don't like to be told what to do, but they do want to feel welcome.

Welcoming members is the first thing you need to do, and you can start doing that as a proactive community manager by sending them a personal PM or profile status message. Kindly inform them they are welcome to introduce themselves but no obligation to do so. Those that didn't intend to do an introduction, will most likely do so. They will feel more welcomed and that's half way the road to having an engaging member.

I remember a time when I had an introduction forum only viewable for someone who freshly registered, so in order to see the complete forum they HAD to introduce themselves. That trend went on a lot of forums back in the days of InvisionFree/ZetaBoards. I wouldn't do it nowadays though. Members don't like to be told what to do, but they do want to feel welcome.
I never thought about the profile posts, that’s a good idea which I might use in the future! I already have a welcome PM set however I do need to change it up with useful links etc and can direct them to the introduction board that way as well.

I never thought about the profile posts, that’s a good idea which I might use in the future! I already have a welcome PM set however I do need to change it up with useful links etc and can direct them to the introduction board that way as well.
An automated PM is good but not personal. By now, everyone registering expects such PM to come, so a different personal approach is often better than letting the automated PM play its role. :)

I really like this idea, I’m gonna steal it. I don’t like automated PMs. They feel, well, automated. Haha.
We can learn so much from each other, so by all means, go ahead. You’ll notice it’s a great improvement to have more engagement. :D

Intro topics can be useful. If done well.

The problem is that most sites don't do it well ... They don't ask for the proper context, the proper background, or information on what the user is looking for and how the community can help. They just ask the person to free form write anything, which reduces to the trivial. People literally say hi.

I don't mind if new members don't introduce themselves right away. Sometimes people just want to dive into the topics and introduce themselves later.

When members plan to stick around and be active, I appreciate it when they introduce themselves.

When a member plans to not stick around and just registered, in the case of my board, for a code or skin, then I don't see a point in them introducing themselves if they're likely to never return.

Yeah, not bothered either way. I don't join many forums but I don't do them (this forum included) as I don't like making topics about myself. Had 3 new members in the past week.
1 did a new members thread and she has been back several times and only been replying to her "welcome" posts on that thread, she may return and post elsewhere, hopefully, another did a new members thread and he's now virtually a regular after 2 days and another didn't do a new members thread and jumped into posting on games and only on games. All 3 are welcome.

I do not force them to, I mean sometimes if I was paying or doing exchanges with people then yes or it may get requested. But in normal times they have an option if they want to ;) It's like if they do not want to get to know you then they do not speak out you know :)

I invite them to do so in a welcome PM -- linking to the welcome forum. I also link them to a few FAQ How To's I have on my sites. How to start a thread, etc.

It always depends on the preferences of the member how he feels on the forum, but really I am very much in favor of everyone's privacy so it doesn't create a problem if he does it or not.

We shouldn't mind if a member introduces themselves or not. If they feel like doing so, they will. Some members like to get the feel of the forum before introducing themselves or even taking another step to create an AMA thread. Some do it as the first thing on the forum. However they prefer to break the ice, we shall not mind but accept and appreciate them. 😊

I send them an automatic private message welcoming them to the forum, and signpost then to the welcome forum where they can find an onboarding process. But if they want to do their own thing, that's fine by me. I don't tend to write introductions in a lot of forums either.

OOOH a new member joined.... Oh I wonder who they are... oh they didn't make an introduction topic... Then my curiosity goes crazy lol.

I love when people make introductions, it's a wonderful way to become part of the community, and also to tell us a bit about you! :) Now if they don't make an introduction, I'll just wonder forever and hopefully they'll post around and that will help me get to know them more.

It’s nice to get a little bit of background information about new members, they seem to draw some discussion just getting to knew each other in it.

Register

Register on Admin Junkies completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Activity
So far there's no one here

Users who are viewing this thread

Would You Rather #9

• Start a forum in a popular but highly competitive niche

Votes: 5 21.7%
  • Initiate a forum within a limited-known niche with zero competition

Votes: 18 78.3%
Win this space by entering the Website of The Month Contest

Theme editor