Welcome to Admin Junkies, Guest — join our community!

Register or log in to explore all our content and services for free on Admin Junkies.

Do you know your staff personally?

Nomad

Service Team
Service Team
Credits
Do you know your staff personally? I mean do you know their real name, location, profession, etc? Do you have access to personally identifying information about your staff? Currently, I do not have any staff on my sites, but in the past when I hired staff I hired hose who had already worked for me in the past and I knew them personally. Does ir matter whether you know your staff's personal information or not?

I don't know my staff on a personal level, I don't think it's a requirement unless you've got a business along with your website and have to pay your staff. At the very least I'd like to know which timezone they live in just to see when they'll be more active.

Naah, it's not possible for me to know any of my online staff personally except for what I've been able to learn about them as we worked together. I don't see how possible it's going to be knowing anyone of them personally as we all live miles apart in different countries.

One staff member I have who is my other half is the only one at this time that I know personally in terms of real name, where they live and such.

I used to have more family member such as my dad and mum on older forums I had years ago but with life changes, they are no longer able to be staff on my forum due to my dad now being unable to do as much as he used to be able to and my mum being a carer for him.

I don't know my staff on a personal level, I don't think it's a requirement unless you've got a business along with your website and have to pay your staff. At the very least I'd like to know which timezone they live in just to see when they'll be more active.
Agreed, but even then you don’t need to know your staff in person. Of course you’d want to conduct the necessary legal background checks and you’d verify their identity via their passport, lol. And conduct some kinda video call interview so you can put a name to a face ;)

If it’s just a volunteer position like a forum community partnership, I think it’s still important to have some level of friendship and trust even if you don’t know them IRL. An online friendship can feel very real from experience.

I believe there is no need for that as long as they are doing a great job, most especially if they are remote workers.

I guess it depends on your definition of “personally”. I have known @Cedric for quite some years, I know quite a bit about him I think. I have added many people I work with on Facebook and follow their day to day life. I think you become personal at that point. It creates a family atmosphere and I love it!

The only staff member I've worked with that I've probably known personally was Helena. We even met up one time in a big city near me when she was visiting the area from afar. We've told personal details about each other and have known the ins and outs of each other's lives. I don't chat with her as much as I used to, but I still consider her one of my best friends.

Trust, maybe. Friendship, I wouldn't be so sure. You have to keep it professional, you know how it works.
I feel like it’s natural to be friends if you volunteer to build a community together though, don’t you think? :)

Can I ask you, to you what’s the difference between a friend and an acquaintance ?

Last edited:
I don’t have any staff. I’m a one man show. Maybe when we grow bigger I’ll pull in some mods etc. but I don’t see the benefit of having more staff than members on a relatively small forum.

I don’t have any staff. I’m a one man show. Maybe when we grow bigger I’ll pull in some mods etc. but I don’t see the benefit of having more staff than members on a relatively small forum.
Remind me your forum - it's permittingtalks if i remember rightly?

I've never met any of my fellow staff members in real life. But they are fun people to joke around with. I think we have a few things in common.

Register

Register on Admin Junkies completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Activity
So far there's no one here

Users who are viewing this thread

Would You Rather #9

• Start a forum in a popular but highly competitive niche

Votes: 5 20.8%
  • Initiate a forum within a limited-known niche with zero competition

Votes: 19 79.2%
Win this space by entering the Website of The Month Contest

Theme editor