Welcome to Admin Junkies, Guest — join our community!

Register or log in to explore all our content and services for free on Admin Junkies.

Do you have old hard drives lying around?

Ravenfreak

Service Team
Service Team
Credits
Am I the only one who has a few old hard drives from old computers lying around? I just took the hard drive out of my 10 year old desktop today and backed up a few files. I took out the hard drive from my wife's old laptop about a year ago and backed up files from that hard drive as well. I found some old database backups of a few different forums I created throughout the years, including the database backup of Mighty No 9 Universe too!

I build PCs for a side hustle when I get the time and the money. I have computer parts EVERYWHERE! this includes hard drives SSDs NVMes lol So No you aren't the only one!

Was going through a computer parts box I forgot about from "back in the day". Found my old 40MB Miniscribe M7040S (and yes, that's right, it was 40 MB which was fairly large) and the SCSI card for it that I ran OS/2 and the 3 node BBS on back in the late 80's. Set them aside in a smaller box and went on cleaning up the other stuff to take out to dump at our bi-annual cleanup day. Few days later went looking for it and could not find it. Turns out the better 1/2 thought it was trash also and pitched the box in the back of the truck... so it is somewhere in a landfill now.

No, I just had only one unused hard drive from my old laptop. I use it now like an external hard drive. 😄

Yes lots of them.
Mostly 250gb or 500gb, so I suppose they are not really saleable on ebay etc.

It seems such a waste

Yes lots of them.
Mostly 250gb or 500gb, so I suppose they are not really saleable on ebay etc.

It seems such a waste
You could make one of those a emulation box. I just set up Launchbox on my old hard drive from my PS4 that overheated. That is, if you're into video games. Other than that they could just be used for backups but mechanical hard drives don't last forever.

Register

Register on Admin Junkies completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Activity
So far there's no one here

Users who are viewing this thread

Would You Rather #9

• Start a forum in a popular but highly competitive niche

Votes: 5 22.7%
  • Initiate a forum within a limited-known niche with zero competition

Votes: 17 77.3%
Win this space by entering the Website of The Month Contest

Theme editor