Welcome to Admin Junkies, Guest — join our community!

Register or log in to explore all our content and services for free on Admin Junkies.

Do you feel like you are obliged to carry on a family business?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think it is optional, where the person feels good. Although it is always good to have your own business I have independent and if you can, continue working in the family business or leave it

Advertisement Placeholder
Well not really.. i mean you can manage.your family business when it's your turn and have your own business built from scratch. You can never have too many businesses and it can never be a bad thing. That means you're smart and independent since you still make another one when you're managing another one.

If a family business is doing fairy well, do you think setting up your own business is a good idea? I am sure there are dreams but instead of starting something from scratch, isn't it a good idea to improvise an established business?
Some people I know doesn't like to continue the family business, as they feel they need to start something on their own. If it's an entirely new business then it can be justified a little. Still, if it's a similar business then I don't really get the point of, starting a new one. What do you guys think?
This is exactly what am passing through now, carrying on a family business even when am no longer comfortable with it, but it was left In my care and I was meant to understand that it feel on me now to carry on the business, they made it look like am obligated to carry it on as a member of the family but I see it as wrong idea or perspective

If a family business is doing fairy well, do you think setting up your own business is a good idea? I am sure there are dreams but instead of starting something from scratch, isn't it a good idea to improvise an established business?
Some people I know doesn't like to continue the family business, as they feel they need to start something on their own. If it's an entirely new business then it can be justified a little. Still, if it's a similar business then I don't really get the point of, starting a new one. What do you guys think?
You may choose to still set your own business up if you so decide that does not mean you will still abandon the family's business if it is trifing very well. so everybody might have his or her own choice to start up his or her own business but it's still good.

I think you explained all the points related to obliged business. One should not start his business of he have already. But if someone is really interested to start up a new business then he should not leave his obliged business behind. Because it is not so easy to get succeed in a new business. But a business which is already running shouldn't be kept behind or left at all.

My family is basically a job holder family. As far as I know, no one has ever done any business in the family. In the past 7 generations, we are only doing jobs, we have never attempted business. Therefore, I do not have an answer to this question, but I can assume that if you have a family business you are not obliged to join the business. You should join only when you have skills, knowledge, expertise, and interest.
[automerge]1611666887[/automerge]
My family is basically a job holder family. As far as I know, no one has ever done any business in the family. In the past 7 generations, we are only doing jobs, we have never attempted business. Therefore, I do not have an answer to this question, but I can assume that if you have a family business you are not obliged to join the business. You should join only when you have skills, knowledge, expertise, and interest.

Basically if you think the current family business you had is not fit in your interest or passion, then you can look for someone who is reliable to handle it on his / her own. Then you can build your own business which relies on your passion or interest, just make sure you have all you need to create one.

Continuing a family business should not be a burden or an obligation, it should be voluntary, a person that feels he want to venture into his own business should be free to do so, but if such person has interest and very good knowledge about the family business then that should be his best option.

It depends on what type of business your family already have and if you're interested on continuing it. For me, it's best first learn how to run a business and gain knowledge that you can use in a business. You can then decide if you don't want to continue your family business and choose to start your very own business from scratch.

I think that this decision is based on alot of things. The person needs to know if the parents and siblings will allow him/her to take over the bisiness. Sometimes this causes so much range in families, especially the large ones as everyone wants to take over the family business.

If my family owned a large business I would not want to head it. It would be better left in charge of the first born and I am not the first born. Family businesses come with a lot of pressure and sentimatalism, one which I would not like to encounter.

No..I don't feel so. It's only proper that I carry on with the family business only if I am interested in it. Trying to act like I actually want to be part of the business because of family sentiments might bring the business down and this might be bad for those that look up to me.
Therefore, one must leave all sentiments and only do what one desires

Not every family member chooses—or is chosen—to be significantly involved in the family business. Nevertheless, every family member has some responsibility. Because the family business is often interwoven into the family’s history, economics and future, the family must figure appropriate ways to involve and include even its more non-active family members. When everyone fulfills their responsibilities, both the business and the family stay strong.

Its already been done and is being done on a daily basis , there's no reason for you to start from zero if you have a project already running good, even if your new idea is a completely different category , you still can use the exposure, the budget and the experience and tools of your already going business to fund and grow it.

There's nothing wrong with starting a business along with a family business, in fact, its a good idea, for many reasons.

Yes you right but as for me it's wrong because family business is very risky and dangerous because you can get your own personal family get hurt or you waste your own personal life so the best thing is just to start your own business and remain in the post you are in the family business till you know that your business has finally gotten to where it should get to before leaving

Nigeria welcomes Africa's 15th Bitcoin ATM
With Nigeria comprising Africa's largest economy and population, the country's first Bitcoin ATM may be a signpost for broader adoption across the continent. Coinstale's terminal is only the secondBitcoin ATM in West Africa.Apr 1, 2020

I would say the taking up of family business would depend on whether it is in accordance with my own dream of business. Taking up a family business isn't bad but should be avoided if the business has no hope of resurrecting

Every family member has some responsibility. Because the family business is often interwoven into the family’s history, economics and future, the family must figure appropriate ways to involve and include even its more non-active family members. When everyone fulfills their responsibilities, both the business and the family stay strong.

If I'm capable, i can continue a family business. It saves you a whole lot because starting a new business from scratch isn't an easy task. Also, it makes you more disciplined because you need to be accountable for all your doings

If I am in the position to carry on the family business I will do so without thinking twice. The reason is that I say in family business and trust on to me as a touch of Hope which is needed to be carry on. therefore it is my duty to make sure that it doesn't quench and pass it on to the next generation. I see it as a legacy which we need to carry on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register

Register on Admin Junkies completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

New Threads

Would You Rather #9

• Start a forum in a popular but highly competitive niche

Votes: 9 27.3%
  • Initiate a forum within a limited-known niche with zero competition

Votes: 24 72.7%
Win this space by entering the Website of The Month Contest

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic Backgrounds