Welcome to Admin Junkies, Guest — join our community!

Register or log in to explore all our content and services for free on Admin Junkies.

Staff Management Do you expect immediate answer from Staff?

For topics on managing and supporting the forum's moderation team.

Cedric

Captain Junkie
Administrator
Credits
So picture this: You’ve got a question and posted a topic about it in the feedback forum. Or you’ve sent a PM to one of the staff members on a forum you visit. We've all been there – that moment of anticipation right after you hit that "Post New Topic" button. Your question or concern is out there for the world to see, and you're eager for a response. But the big question is, do you expect an immediate answer from the dedicated staff when you post a topic?

Do you believe that you’re entitled on an immediate response when you see a staff member online?

It's a topic that often stirs some passionate opinions. Some members might expect lightning-fast replies, while others understand that staff members have other responsibilities and can't always respond immediately. So, let's dive into this and explore the different perspectives:

1. Urgency vs. Realistic Expectations: Should we expect instant replies, or should we set more realistic timeframes for staff to respond? What's the right balance?
  2. The Human Element: Remember that staff members are humans with lives, work, and schedules. How should this affect our expectations?
  3. Setting Clear Communication Guidelines: Should the forum you visit establish official response time expectations to manage member expectations better?
  4. Supporting Each Other: How can the community support one another while waiting for staff responses?
  5. Balancing Quality and Speed: Consider whether immediate responses might compromise the quality of help provided. Some visit the forum mobile and will wait for a better occasion when using their computer.
So, what's your take on this? Have you ever felt disappointed or impressed by staff response times? Share your experiences and thoughts. :)

A notification in the relevant forum giving some indication of timescales for queries to be answered would go a huge distance to reducing frustration.

I personally don't and I don't think anyone else should. As for timetables, that would only reduce frustration if you met it every single time because the first time you don't it will not only not reduce frustration but ramp it up far more then if you didn't have one to begin with.

I'd say being as patient with others as much as you would like people to be patient with you will go a long way to having the whole process move along smoothly for all involved.

This is why I tended to hide my online status - because people would see me online and expect response there and then.

People all too often forget that the universe does not revolve around them.

As for timetables,
I don’t mean anything definitive, as an example:

Thank you very much for your question/comment/whatever. Please note that this forum is not monitored 24/7 however we will endeavour to answer your query within 2 working days.

Nothing too stringent but sets expectations.

Answering in an expeditiously manner has always seemed to work best for me and is also what I appreciate when staff do for my requests. I feel like most users understand that smaller communities can't have 24/7 coverage and individual staff aren't on 24/7, but don't underestimate your users ability to see you online not answering their problem.

arrested development hiding GIF

I really like the response by @Al and think that we should be providing more guidance on when to expect a reasonable timeframe. The trick is that you don't just provide when to expect a response, you provide the next step of what to do ... Should you ask another staff member if I don't respond in 48 hours? Can you ping me again in 48 hours? Can you search support articles for help in the meantime?

This is an area where I think forums can do a better job at providing smarter, automated responses - especially in regards to support topics. It provides forward guidance.

On a final note, hiding yourself doesn't help your end users any better.

I think having a automatic reply for when you’re not online can really help in this situation. It shows that you care and will be back to answer whatever questions your members might have.

1. Urgency vs. Realistic Expectations: Should we expect instant replies, or should we set more realistic timeframes for staff to respond? What's the right balance?
    After making a post stating our concerns/asking questions, we must patiently wait for the right staff member to reply to it. The staff members must be given at least a day or two to reply. If the staff member needs more time, it's best to let the member know of it otherwise they might feel ignored or that they are less important.

2. The Human Element: Remember that staff members are humans with lives, work, and schedules. How should this affect our expectations?
    It must be understood that staff members are humans as well and have commitments in their personal lives too. If it goes as stated in the above answer, there should not be any issue.

3. Setting Clear Communication Guidelines: Should the forum you visit establish official response time expectations to manage member expectations better?
    Yes, as I had mentioned above, that would help I feel.

4. Supporting Each Other: How can the community support one another while waiting for staff responses?
    If a question can be answered by one of the members who has good knowledge of the concern, he/she must always feel empowered to step in and provide clarification. The staff members then can add if anything is missed.

5. Balancing Quality and Speed: Consider whether immediate responses might compromise the quality of help provided. Some visit the forum mobile and will wait for a better occasion when using their computer.
    It should never be rushed. The staff members must take as much time as they require, provided they let the members know of it.

I guess the one thing that annoys me is when forums have a way to see that someone has seen a PM as I know they've read it but haven't replied. I do try to be very patient though.

No. 24-48 hours is suffice.

Someone might be "on line" but literally not online or even browsing the website at the time...

I think once a staff member is online they should respond in some form or way to recognize the concern or suggestion. They may say “thank you for reporting this bug! So and so will likely be able to fix this soon.” Now it doesn’t need a response from every staff member of course, but I know it is good to be recognized even if they can’t fix the problem.

Community responding if they agree or disagree or if they are having the same problem is helpful too because it helps us know if it is more of a universal issue.

In the end patience is nice. I know as a member I just want someone to respond that first day whether it be a member or staff member I don’t care. I would like to see the suggestion recognized and it be implemented or told no within a week and I think that’s an okay expectation, otherwise give a timeline. “We will add this to our things we want to implement, but may take time due to coding” that’s even okay. Have to be reasonable!

Well, if the staff is in a different time zone, I'd have to give them a bit more time to answer it regardless of how pressing I think it is. Especially if said staff member is in a different country and they are awake at different times than I am, I'd just have to sit back and wait.

I don't expect immediate responses because I know a lot of forum owners are working full time and can't cater to my every need :) They'll get to it when they get to it.

Undoubtedly, it should be answered in relation to the reporting in order not to create confusion on the members and make wrong judgments.

So mod. you have to think both in the case of the member and the staff, always in the best interest of the forum.

It's like an email, At work, try to respond to emails within the same work day depending on the severity of the contents. If people expected me to respond to emails immediately I'd never get any actual work done, they're a blight on society.

Apart from the fact that the staff have their own lives offline, your concern might need diligent research and collaboration with other before response can be given.
My dad used to say that “if you give a lightning response or solution to a rather serious problem, I don’t trust your response.”

Register

Register on Admin Junkies completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Activity
So far there's no one here

Users who are viewing this thread

New Threads

Would You Rather #9

• Start a forum in a popular but highly competitive niche

Votes: 5 20.8%
  • Initiate a forum within a limited-known niche with zero competition

Votes: 19 79.2%
Win this space by entering the Website of The Month Contest