Welcome to Admin Junkies, Guest — join our community!

Register or log in to explore all our content and services for free on Admin Junkies.

Site Management Do you approve accounts banned by a spam filter?

For discussions on the overall management and administration of websites and forums.

Jason

Royal member
Website
drummerlesson.com
Credits
I don't really know who these people are, so I approve all of them, but a few will post spam, so what I've been doing is disabling those accounts after they start their mischief. Anyway, my logic is that I've been banned as spam before, and I don't want to accidently throw out a good member.

Sometimes. Depends on the username, avatar. Some people often get flagged as spammer without being one.

I do not have spam filters in the communities I run, however, in the communities where I am a moderator, they have spam filters. Sometimes I approve accounts banned by spam filters.

Sometimes. Depends on the username, avatar. Some people often get flagged as spammer without being one.
Yeah, that's what I notice. In that case, I don't want to take a chance. Anyway, even the spammers that come thru aren't very damaging. I catch them quick.

Sometimes I'll give them a pass but most of the time I trust the spam filter. Of course if I noticed the account starts posting spam, then they'll get the boot. Funny enough I just revived a old forum and somehow I managed to miss a spam account. Not really sure how I missed that years ago. :V

If their IP and email are listed in StopForumSpam... sorry, they stay in purgatory.
I don't use Askimet for filtering new users.
I moderate on 1 SFS flag and reject on 2 (IP & email). I do not filter on user name. Generally those listed in StopForumSpam are not "accidents".
I also use results from Project Honey Pot.
And even then you will still get the occasional new spammer getting through until they are reported.
I recently had a user that used the old trick of multiple periods in an email address. He had two different gmail addresses and user names, but came in from the same IP. Turns out he was one of those "long term lurk spammers", creating the account several months ago then coming back and visiting and trying post some spam. His emails and IP are now listed in SFS.

Jcink doesn't have a spam filter for account registration, so I must watch for spammers. There are only 4/1700+ members that I've banned on my board and they were all spammers that went to my board to post a spam advertisement and then leave.

Register

Register on Admin Junkies completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Activity
So far there's no one here

Users who are viewing this thread

New Threads

Would You Rather #9

• Start a forum in a popular but highly competitive niche

Votes: 5 21.7%
  • Initiate a forum within a limited-known niche with zero competition

Votes: 18 78.3%
Win this space by entering the Website of The Month Contest