Welcome to Admin Junkies, Guest — join our community!

Register or log in to explore all our content and services for free on Admin Junkies.

Custom themes / styles on forums

Cedric

Captain Junkie
Administrator
Credits
Do you as a member and/or admin think it is important for a forum to have a custom theme? Why is this, would you not join a forum if they didn't have at least 1 custom theme? What do you think of pre-made themes?

I don't think it's a requirement. Custom themes can be a huge monetary commitment if you're not financially able to afford one. And not everyone knows how or is comfortable with coding. Unless you have some kind of custom modification that requires a custom theme, I think pre-mades are just as good. The only time I don't like pre-mades is when I see about 10+ sites all using the same theme at the same time.

Custom theme make a forum to look perfect. Some of the pre-made theme are not good. As a member, I can join a forum that don't have custom because it's not must for a forum. But as forum owner, it's important to have a custom theme on your forum so you'll look professional.

A custom theme isn't as important has a logo that fits the business or purpose of the forum. I've seen some generic sites that won't attract newbies and have the same threads that others have. Pay for a logo, not a custom theme.

I think it's not a huge deal as long as you have a theme or maybe multiple ones that are aesthetically pleasing, but a custom theme gives the forum an extra unique touch that may entice visitors to more likely join your forum.

I wouldn't say that a custom theme is important or a requirement but it can make your forum more unique to have a custom one. Of course custom themes do something cost quite a bit as you have to get them made to be unique specifically how you would like to see your theme. Due to the fact that it does cost, not everyone is able to do that so that is why I state it is not a requirement or not always necessary. I would join a forum either way as long as I had an interest in what the forum was about.

I think the theme needs to align with the mood and the vibe of the forum - but honestly, a recolouring of most of the platforms' default themes would be adequate in most cases, especially XF and IPS that have pretty decent themes out of the box.

The reality is most members don't care - forum's a forum. It's only amongst admins where this kind of fretting seems to matter really.

(Or if you're in the roleplay scene where theming is seemingly EVERYTHING.)

I think the theme needs to align with the mood and the vibe of the forum - but honestly, a recolouring of most of the platforms' default themes would be adequate in most cases, especially XF and IPS that have pretty decent themes out of the box.

The reality is most members don't care - forum's a forum. It's only amongst admins where this kind of fretting seems to matter really.

(Or if you're in the roleplay scene where theming is seemingly EVERYTHING.)
I can only agree with this. It's something that I tend to have a lot of value in, having a decent theme, a lot of options and with time a custom to make our brand more recognizable and stand out, where most members probably couldn't care less about.

I don't mind if they use a custom theme or not as long as the logo is good. I don't personally think there's a need for a theme whenever you have free and/or paid ones which are just as good.

Register

Register on Admin Junkies completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Activity
So far there's no one here

Users who are viewing this thread

Would You Rather #9

• Start a forum in a popular but highly competitive niche

Votes: 5 20.8%
  • Initiate a forum within a limited-known niche with zero competition

Votes: 19 79.2%
Win this space by entering the Website of The Month Contest

Theme editor