Welcome to Admin Junkies, Guest — join our community!

Register or log in to explore all our content and services for free on Admin Junkies.

• Admin Junkies is proud to announce 📣 an awesome ☀️ summer special on ✍️ Content Bundles for YOUR forums! Kickstart your discussions with a Content Bundle. For the entire month of June, use the promo code AJSUMMER 🎉 to receive 50% 🎁 off your content bundle. For example, a package that normally only costs 100 Credits will only cost 50 💰 credits. Full news here.

Creating Your Own Forum Software

jyy

Renowned member
Credits
An associate of mine has literally created their own software from scratch. Therefore, I'm wondering how someone could be unique - because there is always the threat of a lawsuit. Also, I'm wondering how someone could profit from either free and/or paid forum software. Well, I know the free type could possibly sell custom mods and themes on the side.

Advertisement Placeholder
My answer is HELL... no :astonished::tongueclosed:

If you you aren't that good by doing basic or I say that you are good at doing basic things doesn't been you an expert. I'm out to able to code my full board/software. need to know what you are doing, the time you need to put into it and and be hard darn work

That's the case with nearly everything. That's why possibly so many forum projects, and I mean just setting up forums, not coding them from scratch, go down the drain. In other words, there will be pain for success normally.

...because there is always the threat of a lawsuit.

But nobody owns the right to forum software, so where would this lawsuit come from? Unless your software is a blatant rip off of someone elses software then a lawsuit is unlikely.

Also, I'm wondering how someone could profit from either free and/or paid forum software. Well, I know the free type could possibly sell custom mods and themes on the side.

Free software probably isnt profitable at all, even with paid mods, advertisements etc. I imagine most devs who work on it do it on the side.
Im unsure how profitable even paid software would be considering forums arent as popular as they used to be.

My answer is HELL... no :astonished::tongueclosed:

If you you aren't that good by doing basic or I say that you are good at doing basic things doesn't been you an expert. I'm out to able to code my full board/software. need to know what you are doing, the time you need to put into it and and be hard darn work

I worked with a few people making forum software (@Cameron might remember rForums!) and I once tried to make my own (it was suuuuper bad) - I can confirm: its a lot of time and effort and if you don't fully know what you're doing, it can be a nightmare.

But nobody owns the right to forum software, so where would this lawsuit come from? Unless your software is a blatant rip off of someone elses software then a lawsuit is unlikely.

Copyrights do exist. I'm sure all the major brands and possibly minor ones like Elke Arte have them. In that case, you have to be careful.

Register

Register on Admin Junkies completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Would You Rather #9

• Start a forum in a popular but highly competitive niche

Votes: 5 17.9%
  • Initiate a forum within a limited-known niche with zero competition

Votes: 23 82.1%
Win this space by entering the Website of The Month Contest

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic Backgrounds

Granite Backgrounds