Welcome to Admin Junkies, Guest — join our community!

Register or log in to explore all our content and services for free on Admin Junkies.

• Admin Junkies is proud to announce 📣 an awesome ☀️ summer special on ✍️ Content Bundles for YOUR forums! Kickstart your discussions with a Content Bundle. For the entire month of June, use the promo code AJSUMMER 🎉 to receive 50% 🎁 off your content bundle. For example, a package that normally only costs 100 Credits will only cost 50 💰 credits. Full news here.

Copying rules, is it done or not done?

Credits
As webmasters, we all strive to create a safe and enjoyable experience for our users. One of the ways we achieve this is by creating a set of rules that govern the behavior of our community. However, with so many websites out there, it's not uncommon to come across rules that we like and want to implement on our own website.

But here's the question: Is it ethical to copy rules from other websites?

On one hand, you could argue that it's perfectly fine to copy rules that are already established and proven to work. Why reinvent the wheel, right? Plus, by using rules that have already been tested, you can save yourself time and effort that would otherwise be spent on creating your own set of rules.

On the other hand, copying rules without permission could be seen as plagiarism, which is not only unethical but also illegal in some cases. Additionally, the rules that work well for one website may not necessarily be effective for another, so blindly copying rules without considering their applicability could lead to negative consequences.

So what do you think? Is it ethical to copy rules from other websites? Have you ever done it yourself? Let's start a discussion and see where everyone stands on this issue.

I'll be the first to admit that I have done this before but I do edit them and give it my own touch and rewrite as much as possible.

Advertisement Placeholder
My last forum this past year I had been given permission to edit and/or keep the rules of their take on a GameTalk like forum experience. As you may or may not know that forum didn't take off the way I liked, so ended up closing it. DB was doing slightly better at first, and then it seemed to decline.

I again do think it is best to ask for permission, or to even write your own rules and guidelines for your own forum.

I don't think it's very ethical, because as you said, it's clearly plagiarism. I have often used other sites for ideas of rules I can implement on my own site, but I don't believe I have ever blindly copied over my rules from one site to my site. I generally keep my rules short and to the point because most core rules are generally already found in the forum software's TOS, which I include a link to in my rules.

It is best to base your rules on established rules and add creativity. Rules are rules and after all these years on the internet, many sites have gotten it near perfectly right. You don't want to just steal rules, but you also don't want to spend days reinventing the same set of rules everyone else uses.

As webmasters, we all strive to create a safe and enjoyable experience for our users. One of the ways we achieve this is by creating a set of rules that govern the behavior of our community. However, with so many websites out there, it's not uncommon to come across rules that we like and want to implement on our own website.

On one hand, you could argue that it's perfectly fine to copy rules that are already established and proven to work. Why reinvent the wheel, right? Plus, by using rules that have already been tested, you can save yourself time and effort that would otherwise be spent on creating your own set of rules.

On the other hand, copying rules without permission could be seen as plagiarism, which is not only unethical but also illegal in some cases. Additionally, the rules that work well for one website may not necessarily be effective for another, so blindly copying rules without considering their applicability could lead to negative consequences.

So what do you think? Is it ethical to copy rules from other websites? Have you ever done it yourself? Let's start a discussion and see where everyone stands on this issue.

I'll be the first to admit that I have done this before but I do edit them and give it my own touch and rewrite as much as possible.
I tend to write my own, but it's also dependant on the site and the content of it.

When you think about it, a lot of boards have very similar rules for the sake of the fact most rules can just be boiled down to "don't be a jerk, don't steal stuff". However, adult content is totally dependent on the server (like jcink versus Jcink Premium).

If you copy the forum rules of another community word for word, it's better to point it out one way or another if you didn't take the owners permission to copy it.

But if you looked at it and got some insight on how to write your own, even though there might be similarities, you don't need to take permission to do that.

Btw, most forum owners copy others rules because I have seen so many of it. It's like they don't even care about it.

I've seen a couple forums that ban debates on animal hunting, so be sure not to blindly copy-paste them :ROFLMAO:

I wonder if copying rules breaches copyright btw

But who reads the rules nowadays ahahhahahaha
People who’ve been warned/banned in the past by harsh mods for unknowingly broken rules in the past and have learnt their lesson :p

Oh, and believe me, on a large forum with a huge active memberbase staff don’t have time for members using ignorance as an excuse, to put it bluntly.

hire more staff
Sure but large staff teams also means more disagreements. And frankly I imagine that getting annoying quickly

Also for any single staff member, it can be time consuming if bickering involves multiple members… to read through the entire thread. Remember, on most forums staff are volunteers and so their time should be respected.

Register

Register on Admin Junkies completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Who read this thread (Total readers: 0)
No registered users viewing this thread.

New Threads

Would You Rather #9

• Start a forum in a popular but highly competitive niche

Votes: 5 18.5%
  • Initiate a forum within a limited-known niche with zero competition

Votes: 22 81.5%
Win this space by entering the Website of The Month Contest

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic Backgrounds

Granite Backgrounds