Welcome to Admin Junkies, Guest — join our community!

Register or log in to explore all our content and services for free on Admin Junkies.

• Admin Junkies is proud to announce 📣 an awesome ☀️ summer special on ✍️ Content Bundles for YOUR forums! Kickstart your discussions with a Content Bundle. For the entire month of June, use the promo code AJSUMMER 🎉 to receive 50% 🎁 off your content bundle. For example, a package that normally only costs 100 Credits will only cost 50 💰 credits. Full news here.

Copying rules, is it done or not done?

Advertisement Placeholder
I have always been someone who has always seen it as you have rules that should be self-explanatory and are quite common on places like forums in which case, most forums will have similar rules but they will also have their own rules that suit their forums as well.

I do believe in some cases, rules are copied as I have seen in the past but even when they are copied, if they are something that has been set up for a particular forum niche then you may look a little silly having rules that are not related to your forum.

I have always been someone who has always seen it as you have rules that should be self-explanatory and are quite common on places like forums in which case, most forums will have similar rules but they will also have their own rules that suit their forums as well.

I do believe in some cases, rules are copied as I have seen in the past but even when they are copied, if they are something that has been set up for a particular forum niche then you may look a little silly having rules that are not related to your forum.
Yeah in most cases it's just standard stuff though like no trolling, spamming, harassment, personal attacks, doxxing, impersonations, bullying, hate speech, disrespect for authority of the staff.
Common sense really

I never bothered much for rules because all the rules you can think of can be simply boiled down to one sentence. "Don't be a jackass." Most people don't intend on being one so they never read the rules and those who do intend on being one just look to the rules to avoid being called out for being one. The only thing I would add to the rules besides not being a jackass is staff get to decide who is or isn't being one. The first time you do something that would be considered being a jackass is called being ignorant. The second time and onward is being a jackass.

People really go out of their way to make the task of not having a forum filled with jackasses a lot harder then it has to with their mile long rules along with their mile long list of ways they deal with it. People can barely be moved to read a short rules topic so why you trying to make them want to read it less by making it resemble the length of a book?

I wrote my own rules, but got plenty of inspiration from other forums. This was mainly to ensure that I didn't miss anything.

In reality most rules are variations on a theme - there might be a few that are forum-specific but the basic rules (no violence, no doxxing, etc.) are going to be the same everywhere. Rewrite and rephrase, rather then directly copying, but given how widespread they are I wouldn't be too bothered. It's not valuable content, so I'll never make a "loss" if someone steals it.

An admin I had 20 years ago wrote mine, they're still our rules thread. Think once or twice they have been edited to add a tiny bit extra. Like on another thread about stealing content, probably nice to ask if you wish to 'copy' an actual rule.

Register

Register on Admin Junkies completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Who read this thread (Total readers: 0)
No registered users viewing this thread.

New Threads

Would You Rather #9

• Start a forum in a popular but highly competitive niche

Votes: 5 18.5%
  • Initiate a forum within a limited-known niche with zero competition

Votes: 22 81.5%
Win this space by entering the Website of The Month Contest

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic Backgrounds

Granite Backgrounds