Welcome to Admin Junkies, Guest — join our community!

Register or log in to explore all our content and services for free on Admin Junkies.

Buying and Selling Community

Nomad

Service Team
Service Team
Credits
Have you ever bought a community, have you ever sold a community? When you buy a community, what are your considerations, and when you sell community how do you get buyers?
I have bought and sold community. I bought a community through a webmaster forum and sold a community through website marketplace called Flippa.

I've never bought or sold a community and I've only had communities on non-self-hosted software where I'm pretty sure it's against the TOS to sell your board anyway.

I don't have much experience with monetization, so I'd probably never buy a community because that's the only real purpose I can see to buy one.

I've never bought or sold a community and I've only had communities on non-self-hosted software where I'm pretty sure it's against the TOS to sell your board anyway.

I don't have much experience with monetization, so I'd probably never buy a community because that's the only real purpose I can see to buy one.
I do not think monetization is a criteria for buying and selling. I see a lot of people buying communities that are not yet monetized or even when they are monetized, they are not generating revenue.

I do not think monetization is a criteria for buying and selling. I see a lot of people buying communities that are not yet monetized or even when they are monetized, they are not generating revenue.
I guess being more on the poor end of the spectrum, I'd probably only buy a community if I could monetize it. I'm more fond of starting afresh when having my community instead of taking over other people's creations.

I only ever heard of boards being bought in two cases a) to monetise it (now or later), or b) because otherwise it would just close and the loss of information was worth the price paid to salvage it.

Recently sold a domain, the XF license (which included XFRM and XFES) for a while $25.
Primary reason... the buyer was a close friend who is disabled by federal requirements. The secondary aspect was... I really don't care to continue to give XenForo and their "whelps" anymore funds than I have to. It was a good deal for Brandon... and it allowed me to kick to the curb a license I would never renew (XF license valid through 07/24) and a domain (valid through 10/24) and that I honestly had no desire to "chase" activity on.

I have never bought a community and have not sold a community. I have sold domain names in the past though.

I am working on some communities that I may consider selling in the future if all goes well.

Nope! I've given my database to another forum before for free. I saw zero reason to sell it.

I have always thought about buying older communities and keeping them running. It is something I would still like to do, but don't have the funds to really achieve it. Sadly most get sold fairly fast to people who revamp things almost the next day.

Register

Register on Admin Junkies completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Activity
So far there's no one here

Users who are viewing this thread

New Threads

Would You Rather #9

• Start a forum in a popular but highly competitive niche

Votes: 5 22.7%
  • Initiate a forum within a limited-known niche with zero competition

Votes: 17 77.3%
Win this space by entering the Website of The Month Contest