Welcome to Admin Junkies, Guest — join our community!

Register or log in to explore all our content and services for free on Admin Junkies.

Anybody got plans for the April 2024 eclipse?

Tracy

Royal member
Credits
I purchased a 30 pack of eclipse glasses (at about $8 a pair) and kept 3 for my family and made a FB post to share the remainder with my friends. I delivered the last pair today.
My son will be traveling to a location about 50 mile away that is in a 100% coverage area.
I'll be staying local in a 99.7% coverage area and using a pair of those glasses to watch.
I'm still waiting on the solar filter for my telescope to come in so I can set it up. I really need to get some exposure with it before the big event so hoping it comes in soon. .but it seems that now everybody and their brother/sister/uncle/aunt/whatever cousin is buying the stuff up.
If you are in the region to view this event.... what are your plans?
If I can get my telescope filter in, I plan on doing EAA and projecting the image on a screen via a projector with my current setup at a local community center.

Wow. When is it happening and how long will it last? I'd also love to watch it. I don't know how much I'll be able to see from India though.

I am always excited about things related to the solar system / outer space. Sometimes, I just lie down and look at the sky full of stars and feel like I'm getting closer and closer to them. The feeling is amazing.

April 8, 2024 is when it is scheduled.
It will be able to be observed from Canada, US and Mexico. There are cottage industries for watching popping up all over the US cities directly under it's path.

eclipse-map-2024-1920-1-ezgif.com-resize.jpg

Looks like I would have to travel to see it, I live close to St. Louis but it looks like people south of St. Louis will be able to see it better. Plus that's a Monday so unless I put in a vacation day or use my last PTO day I wouldn't be able to see it since I'll be at work. I did manage to see the last solar eclipse which was in 2017.

Me during an eclipse:

season 3 krabby land GIF by SpongeBob SquarePants

I don't even know where you get those. Online, I assume?
Yes, I ordered mine from Agena AstroProducts (where I purchase a majority of my equipment), but any of the major astronomy hardware vendors should have them. You can also get them from Amazon, but I prefer direct from one of the astro vendors as I know the quality is there. If anyone does get theirs from Amazon, be sure they show to be CE or ISO certified (for whatever worth an Amazon vendors statement could be to your vision).

But if you aren't in the area for their use, they aren't much use otherwise as you can't really see the sunspots (unless it is an extremely large one) or solar flares with the naked eye.
The Baader are the ones I purchased as they usually have a little higher quality product in filters than Celestron, but I'm honestly pretty sure they get their plastic solar film for the glasses from the same vendors.

Register

Register on Admin Junkies completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Activity
So far there's no one here

Users who are viewing this thread

New Threads

Would You Rather #9

• Start a forum in a popular but highly competitive niche

Votes: 5 22.7%
  • Initiate a forum within a limited-known niche with zero competition

Votes: 17 77.3%
Win this space by entering the Website of The Month Contest