Welcome to Admin Junkies, Guest — join our community!

Register or log in to explore all our content and services for free on Admin Junkies.

Allowing members to edit/delete posts

Reverie

Mythical member
Retired Staff
Credits
Do you allow members to edit or delete their own post? Why or why not? I know on Xenforo there is also a time limit on editing/deleting own posts, do you use this type of feature if you have it available?

Do you maybe not allow regular users to edit/delete, but you make it a premium user feature?

Yes of course, it's very necessary to allow members the opportunity to edit their posts only. I don't support giving anyone the permission to delete their posts. If they want their posts to be deleted, they should report it with the reason why they want it gone.

I don't see the big deal. However, on XF you got to be careful to not let registered members or guests get forum admin privileges, which could be done by accident.

I allow my members to delete and edit their posts. I don't really get why some communities block this feature, sometimes a member has a post or a thread they no longer want the public to see they should be able to delete it themselves rather than waiting for staff to delete it for them.

We only allow members to edit their posts in a certain amount of time. Why? Because we've had people get mad and go through and edit all their posts to put just a period and it destroys the conversation. Once you post something on the forum, it becomes part of the community and is no longer just yours. We don't allow destruction of our community, so the ability to edit is a very short period. No deletions unless it's something really personal and then staff will gladly do it.

Because we've had people get mad and go through and edit all their posts to put just a period and it destroys the conversation.
I did this on the official ZetaBoards Support forum once. I was severely ticked off at several things going on and decided to delete all of my codes by editing the codes out of my posts. They were restored by staff members. For reasons like this, I don't allow members to delete their own posts. Editing, on the other hand, is somewhat of a requirement to correct or add info, so I've always allowed the editing of posts.

I did this on the official ZetaBoards Support forum once. I was severely ticked off at several things going on and decided to delete all of my codes by editing the codes out of my posts. They were restored by staff members. For reasons like this, I don't allow members to delete their own posts. Editing, on the other hand, is somewhat of a requirement to correct or add info, so I've always allowed the editing of posts.

Which is why a time limit on edits should be necessary and if there are other changes, it can go through a report to staff to handle.

Register

Register on Admin Junkies completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Activity
So far there's no one here

Users who are viewing this thread

New Threads

Would You Rather #9

• Start a forum in a popular but highly competitive niche

Votes: 5 21.7%
  • Initiate a forum within a limited-known niche with zero competition

Votes: 18 78.3%
Win this space by entering the Website of The Month Contest