Welcome to Admin Junkies, Guest — join our community!

Register or log in to explore all our content and services for free on Admin Junkies.

0's in the Domain Name

Jason

Royal member
Bronze Member
Website
drummerlesson.com
Credits
How do you feel about zeros anywhere in the domain? Can it be appealing? What are some popular sites you know with zeros in it?

The only time I've used a number in my domain name was when I had a forum dedicated to the game Mighty No. 9. The website was called Mighty No. 9 Universe, and I even had a short domain name that was simply just mn9u.com that linked to the forum. (Though I also had Mightyno9universe.com registered, I registered that domain name first.)

How do you feel about zeros anywhere in the domain? Can it be appealing? What are some popular sites you know with zeros in it?
For some... a 0 can easily be confused with a O. I try to avoid stuff like that unless it is specific to the site name, like JBond007.com.

Not all browsers show a zero like this
Screen Shot 2023-12-06 at 2.03.13 AM.png

Most people write domains in lowercase (especially the browser) so things like 000webhost aren’t usually a problem.

That said 0 in the domain name doesn’t usually bode well because it’s usually confused for an O anyway if written down (and saying it becomes a chore) but also usually there aren’t many domain names with numbers in that aren’t at least a bit questionable.

I mean, when was the last time you saw a number in a domain? Other than the aforementioned 000webhost, the only other domain I can bring to mind with numbers in it was a comic set in 1977 and straight up called 1977thecomic.com and beyond that, I’m struggling hard.

Most people write domains in lowercase (especially the browser) so things like 000webhost aren’t usually a problem.

That said 0 in the domain name doesn’t usually bode well because it’s usually confused for an O anyway if written down (and saying it becomes a chore) but also usually there aren’t many domain names with numbers in that aren’t at least a bit questionable.

I mean, when was the last time you saw a number in a domain? Other than the aforementioned 000webhost, the only other domain I can bring to mind with numbers in it was a comic set in 1977 and straight up called 1977thecomic.com and beyond that, I’m struggling hard.
Something like 123host could be memorable. It depends on what numbers I think.

123-reg exists. It does not have a particularly good reputation.

Numbers in the domain were selling for thousands to Chinese investors. it was silly stuff like 78945.com How silly is that? :sneaky:

The cultural dynamics in China are very different. There, because Chinese in domain names is, charitably, a disaster, they tend to go for groups of numbers whose pronunciation approximates the name of the business. It makes for less awful domain names compared to what *usually* happens to IDNs.

The cultural dynamics in China are very different. There, because Chinese in domain names is, charitably, a disaster, they tend to go for groups of numbers whose pronunciation approximates the name of the business. It makes for less awful domain names compared to what *usually* happens to IDNs.
What's an example?

Example: People Daily, the official newspaper in China.

It has a Chinese domain name: 人民网.中国

But plenty of software downconverts it to ASCII characters through what’s known as Punycode, which means it’ll be turned into: xn--gmq282eogn.xn--fiqs8s

NB I had to do more work to get the former item than the latter because when I copied the link in full IDN, Safari gave me the Punycode version by default. XF tries to fix it back though…

Register

Register on Admin Junkies completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Activity
So far there's no one here

Users who are viewing this thread

Would You Rather #9

• Start a forum in a popular but highly competitive niche

Votes: 5 21.7%
  • Initiate a forum within a limited-known niche with zero competition

Votes: 18 78.3%
Win this space by entering the Website of The Month Contest

Theme editor