Welcome to Admin Junkies, Guest — join our community!

Register or log in to explore all our content and services for free on Admin Junkies.

• Admin Junkies is proud to announce 📣 an awesome ☀️ summer special on ✍️ Content Bundles for YOUR forums! Kickstart your discussions with a Content Bundle. For the entire summer through August, use the promo code AJSUMMER 🎉 to receive 50% 🎁 off your content bundle. For example, a package that normally only costs 100 Credits will only cost 50 💰 credits. Full news here.

Admin Well-being You're older. You're wiser. You're probably an old fart 😂

Conversations on avoiding burnout and maintaining enthusiasm while running a forum

joelr

Addicted member
Administrator
Credits
Many of us have been running forums for ten (or more!) years now.

How have your attitudes and perspectives changed towards managing your forum?

For myself, I'm definitely:
- Much more mellow in responding to members and jumping in to problems
- Much more selective and cautious in spending money on customizations
- It's much less of my personal identity. I have a fulfilling work career, a house, a family, etc.
How about you?

Advertisement Placeholder
I created my first forum about 7 years ago but I have been running forums regularly since 4 years. I do not think I have grown as a forum owner all these days, I am still confused about what is the purpose of running forum. When I started making money was my main concern because I was earning form blogs and I thought I could also earn from forums, but it is not happening. Now, I am mainly trying to build an audience but sadly that is also not working.

I'm more in the camp of being more conscious of the cost of addons or themes as it has to truly wow me from the onset. Steering more into what can I do with the basic feature sets currently available as I know forums will not be profitable for a long time, if at all.

Not as quick to go "here, take my money" when a new version of something comes out. Nor am I as quick to jump on installing a new release of software until others have been down the bloody road of testing it.
I also do not tend to put up with as much BS as I used to from developers . I'm getting older and have less time on this mud ball (and that's reflected by so many of my class-mates passing, some which hit pretty hard) so I'm less inclined to do the ass-kissing that some do to stay in the good graces of them.
For the site... it remains being ran as it started... for my joy. None of my sites were ever party of my "identity"... they were reflections of things I enjoy(ed) doing at the time.
Would I like for my site to take off... sure. Will I quit running it if it doesn't.. doubtful as it will always give me somewhere to post my content in a format I want.

Register

Register on Admin Junkies completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Would You Rather #9

• Start a forum in a popular but highly competitive niche

Votes: 5 17.2%
  • Initiate a forum within a limited-known niche with zero competition

Votes: 24 82.8%
Win this space by entering the Website of The Month Contest

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic Backgrounds

Granite Backgrounds