Welcome to Admin Junkies, Guest — join our community!

Register or log in to explore all our content and services for free on Admin Junkies.

Do not promote your forum, promote yourself!

Screenshot_6.png
You might think I've spent way too much time outdoors, baking in the sunshine, only to return and write something like this. You can use {blog} or {site} instead of {forum}, the concept remains unchanged.

How can I possibly come here, to an admin forum, and suggest that you shouldn't promote your forum when, for the last 10 months, all I've been doing is sharing ideas and tips on how to effectively promote a forum? The point is straightforward: you are promoting a website, but that website is always tied to your personal identity.

Your reputation is absolutely crucial.

After spending years (a total of 20 now) engaging on forums, sharing ideas, and being supportive, you'll earn recognition and respect. People will know that when you launch something, it's likely to be good, as you consistently create successful websites.

On the flip side, some admins have recently started multiple forums, but none of them have lasted more than 2-3 months. Consequently, when they attempt to promote a new community, the response they get is disheartening. People say, "Why should we trust you won't do the same thing again? You keep opening forums and then closing or deleting them within 8 weeks."

Trust me, I've been there. I've done these stupid things.

This reputation is harmful, as instead of being recognized for creating thriving communities, they are known for a lack of dedication. The members of our forums invest their time in our projects, and while it's understandable that some forums might not take off, repeatedly opening and closing similar forums within a year raises concerns about reliability.
It creates the impression that when things get tough, they simply abandon ship, leaving members frustrated and feeling like they wasted their time on their websites.

Now, I've closed down forums in the past and even sold a few, but this happened over nearly a decade of work. In the beginning, I had no budget and was learning the ropes. However, continually repeating the cycle of creating and closing forums will erode trust in you.

For those admins I mentioned, establishing a new community will be challenging. People won't be as willing to jump in and help, given the past experiences of investing time into forums that eventually vanished. While it's still possible to build a website with a tainted reputation, it'll undoubtedly be harder.

And trust me, we don't need any additional hurdles, as things are already tough enough today.
So, it's crucial to ensure that you aren't known as an unreliable admin. Instead, you need to project an image of a committed admin who is determined to make the website work.
In the end, even if you have a brilliant plan for the new Facebook, you might receive little to no response because people have lost faith in your follow-through.

The power of a positive image cannot be underestimated; it can truly propel a website forward.

It might sound weird to discuss personal image in the context of running a forum, but it has a significant impact on the forum's marketing and overall success.

Nevertheless, when I started working on our new forum and began promoting it, I was genuinely amazed to see people who hadn't seen me active in 2-3 years come forward and express excitement about my new venture. They remembered my past contributions and had faith in my ability to create something valuable.

On some forums, I had spent time posting, being helpful, and sharing what I had learned in various niches. As a result, I had gained recognition, even becoming a moderator or premium member on some of them. While I hadn't taken care of those relationships for a long time, people still remembered and trusted my judgment when it came to websites.

My positive reputation among other admins had a tremendous impact on our new forum. Even if some people were initially cautious about joining yet another admin forum, they were willing to visit and observe from the sidelines. They knew that I didn't typically create fleeting or low-quality websites, so they gave it a chance. As time passed, and they saw the forum's serious commitment, their confidence grew, and they became active participants.

On the other hand, some individuals jumped right in without hesitation because they knew from my reputation that it would be a valuable and worthwhile community.

Having a positive image made a significant difference for AJ, especially in a challenging niche. While we're not completely out of the woods yet, the fact that people expected us to deliver quality projects made it easier for us. Contrastingly, if they had anticipated a short-lived venture, we would have faced far greater challenges.

So building and maintaining a good image among fellow admins can greatly impact the success of your website. Trust and confidence in your ability to create meaningful projects will draw people in, making it more likely for your forum to thrive in the long run.

Websites come and go, it's a never ending cycle. But your image stays forever.

If you become known as a spammer, unfortunately, that negative reputation will taint all your websites. Consequently, even if you eventually create something remarkable, people may express surprise rather than admiration. Instead of saying, "Wow, couldn't expect anything else," they might comment, "Weird, thought the guy couldn't create anything decent."

To avoid such reactions, strive to build a positive image that sets high expectations for your work. Even though websites may come and go, it's natural for some forums to be closed or sold over time. The key is not to create and dispose of new forums at an alarming rate, as that can be concerning. On the other hand, many respected admins who run successful boards have had a few projects that didn't quite take off. This is normal, and it doesn't diminish their overall reputation for creating decent websites.

Your reputation as a serious and talented admin matters significantly. It affects how people perceive your new projects. If you're known for consistently producing great content and websites, others will trust your judgment and eagerly support your latest endeavors. The trust you've earned over the years will encourage people to explore and contribute to your new forum because they believe in your capabilities.

If you're respected among other admins, your announcements about new websites, books, or any other projects will pique their interest. They won't expect you to achieve success in every single attempt, but they'll have confidence that you've already produced noteworthy work.

Therefore, while promoting your websites, never forget that your personal image as a forum admin holds greater significance than any specific website you create. Be professional, helpful, and friendly, and people will respect and trust you. This will result in them approaching your new ventures with curiosity and warmth, creating a supportive community around your projects.

Thanks for reading!

I'll admit I am guilty of opening a forum, then closing it within a year or so. I've done that in the past, and I have been working my hardest to try to prevent this from happening again. Likewise I've seen others who make a forum, then after a few months close it to make yet another forum under the same niche as the previous forum they shut down. It's absolutely true that you've got a reputation, and if you prove time and time again that you cannot focus on the communities you have currently then chances are later down the line when you make a new one people will not join. It's also true that if you are a hard worker and show off your skills, you will be most likely able to help others with the skills you have and people will come to you for help over time as they will see that you are a reliable person.

Whenever I have had a forum I have always had the mindset of promoting the forum but not myself. I guess when you are wanting to get your forum out there, you forget how you are as a person and your reputation is something people will look at.

If you are someone who is known for opening and closing forums constantly or restarting the same forum over again, that can lead to a bad reputation for you and people will no longer want to be involved with the forums you open up because you tend to close them or restart them.

I am someone who has only had a few forums myself, one which was very successful which was a general chat forum that I had for 8 years and now with me co-owning Revillution which has been open for a while and also with Promotion Addicts. Even though they are slow going at the moment, I do not have the urge to want to close them because of that as I know that will affect my reputation.

This is a really good article and definitely gives people who like to open forums something to think about :)

This definitely rings true on admin forums. I still recognise names from years ago and when I see they're promoting a forum, I know that it's going to be quality and worth signing up to if I'm interested in that niche. There are also names where I think "oh look, here goes another one!"

I'm guilty of closing forums early on, especially when I was younger and had no money to keep them going. I think I enjoyed the building more than the managing at times! However that's all changed and I hope to build a positive reputation so when you see SDL, you think "that's going to be a brilliant community!" Although that's obviously going to take time and I hope to prove myself.

Register

Register on Admin Junkies completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Activity
So far there's no one here

Users who are viewing this thread

Would You Rather #9

• Start a forum in a popular but highly competitive niche

Votes: 5 21.7%
  • Initiate a forum within a limited-known niche with zero competition

Votes: 18 78.3%
Win this space by entering the Website of The Month Contest

Theme editor