Welcome to Admin Junkies, Guest — join our community!

Register or log in to explore all our content and services for free on Admin Junkies.

• Admin Junkies is proud to announce 📣 an awesome ☀️ summer special on ✍️ Content Bundles for YOUR forums! Kickstart your discussions with a Content Bundle. For the entire month of June, use the promo code AJSUMMER 🎉 to receive 50% 🎁 off your content bundle. For example, a package that normally only costs 100 Credits will only cost 50 💰 credits. Full news here.

Would you want to own a social media site?

Credits
There's scripts that allow one to own a social media site similar to Facebook. Would you ever want to own a social media site? With all the competition today, I think having a social media site would be too much work and you're just better off owning a forum. I joined a new social media site that was promoted elsewhere last year, but I don't know if it's online anymore and sadly I can't remember the name of it... It was a mix of Facebook and Myspace.

Advertisement Placeholder
My online friend owns a site that contains a forum and facebook-like comments. I always see it to be lacking in features. I think in general it's hard to get to the point it competes with the likes of facebook, Insta, etc. But you never know. Building your brand is the challenging part, I say.

I rented a mastodon server for a month, while it was nice, I'd rather have a forum site since I can do status messages on my profile, blogs with @Bob's UBS, media galleries, n more.

There's scripts that allow one to own a social media site similar to Facebook. Would you ever want to own a social media site? With all the competition today, I think having a social media site would be too much work and you're just better off owning a forum. I joined a new social media site that was promoted elsewhere last year, but I don't know if it's online anymore and sadly I can't remember the name of it... It was a mix of Facebook and Myspace.
It's important to point out that running a forum with Facebook-clone script is different from running Facebook.

One is a cheap script that looks like Facebook. The other is a multi billionaire dollar corporation who literally has teams of computer scientists studying behavioral design.

Once you run a large enough community (whether that's 10,000 users or 100,000 users), you will start to approach the same set of legal, compliance, and moderation challenges of any online communities.

Years ago when Facebook and Twitter were still quite new and MySpace had started to die off, I did wonder if it would be a good idea to start my own social media site but I will be honest, after realizing just how much work I would have to put into it and how much money I would have to invest to make it something anyone would want to use, it soon put me off.

It is going to be really hard now to compete with the likes of Facebook, X (Twitter), and also Instagram when it comes to a new social media platform.

Never. Unless you had something truly revolutionary you'd never be able to compete with the likes of Meta, TikTok, LinkedIn, etc - the barriers to entry are too high.

If you did have something amazing, I could guarantee that one of the tech giants would make you an offer you can't refuse. Just look at how much Facebook paid for Instagram, or how much Microsoft brought LinkedIn for.

I'm in some networks like Kajabi and Mighty Networks that are basically clones of social networks, or at least take a lot of inspiration from them.

On Invision Power Suite, they added a feature called "Clubs" that emulates this function. We tried to implement it on an already established forum community and while it had some initial buzz, they all died. I think in order to make a success of it you would have to build it from the ground up that way.

I'm in some networks like Kajabi and Mighty Networks that are basically clones of social networks, or at least take a lot of inspiration from them.

On Invision Power Suite, they added a feature called "Clubs" that emulates this function. We tried to implement it on an already established forum community and while it had some initial buzz, they all died. I think in order to make a success of it you would have to build it from the ground up that way.
Clubs / Groups have never been successful on any forum that I have seen. It's either some elitist group or just doesn't have the activity it should have. Often it's just poorly managed and setup. We've tried it on AJ a while ago, and it didn't fare well to be honest. I don't think it really belongs on forums. MAYBE if groups would be the core focus, maybe then it could work. But still highly doubt it.

I wouldn't want to own a social media website as those privacy concerns are not a joke and we've all seen Facebook get sued here and there. So no, thanks.

The idea that they did, no idea who had that idea but it did its job for some sites but not all suited right with them. Really needed a plugin/addon to open the club more to bring in more options to those groups that I got going ;) but no one even uses it anyway.

I once tried it and still really like the concept. You can do amazing things with such sites if you know how.

But in this case, the target audience was overwhelmed by it because they were too used to forum software.

That was what they were used to from other genre sites, so it was a flop.

Register

Register on Admin Junkies completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Who read this thread (Total readers: 0)
No registered users viewing this thread.

Would You Rather #9

• Start a forum in a popular but highly competitive niche

Votes: 5 18.5%
  • Initiate a forum within a limited-known niche with zero competition

Votes: 22 81.5%
Win this space by entering the Website of The Month Contest

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic Backgrounds

Granite Backgrounds