Welcome to Admin Junkies, Guest — join our community!

Register or log in to explore all our content and services for free on Admin Junkies.

Would you exaggerate your skills to get a job?

Claraviolet

Loyal member
Credits
I have seen many people doing this and they exaggerate their skills a lot to get a job. However, after they get the job 70% of the time, they would get fired for not being able to do the job.

So, do you think it's a good idea to get a job this way? These days I am looking for a job and I have just migrated to another country. I am a technical source and most of the time, there are lots of openings for functional resources. I was asked to make my profile as a functional source( I am a techno functional source to be exact, so it's not hard for me). I love programming a lot and if I get a job as a functional resource, I wouldn't be able to do coding that I love.

People do call me a fool when I give them this reason but I would want to stay true, to myself. What are your thoughts on this?

Advertisement Placeholder
No i don't really like exaggerating my skills for any work because it might backfire on me later on my career. Anybody that want to employ me should take me to who i am

I don't exaggerate my skills. That's lying to both yourself and the employers. If i don't get a job after i apply for it then my consolation to myself is that a better job will come.

That's very dishonest. It could also backfire when you start the job and you can't complete tasks properly.
I would rather not be hired and settle for something that is a match for my skills.

That's very dishonest. It could also backfire when you start the job and you can't complete tasks properly.
I would rather not be hired and settle for something that is a match for my skills.

Well, I have never actually exaggerated my skills ever. My resume does not even consist of a huge list of qualifications because I am not a really highly qualified person.

You are right; it's not being honest. But for me, "it depends." If you're applying for a job that has nothing to do with the skill you're exaggerating, then yes, I think it's okay to exaggerate your skills. For example, if you're applying for a job as a marketing manager and you have no experience with marketing but have spent years managing people in retail environments, I'd say go ahead and say that you have experience in marketing.

But if the job is about the skill you're exaggerating—or even just tangentially related—then I think it's best not to do so. If someone is applying for a job as a salesperson and they've never sold anything before but they have experience in customer service, I wouldn't recommend saying that they've had sales experience. The employer might be able to tell that this isn't true by looking at their resume or just by asking them some questions during an interview. It might also cause problems later on down the road when someone finds out that their employee lied about having sales experience before getting hired for the position!

I have done so in the past and it worked out for me. I was not lying, I just "up-talked" myself. It was a means to stand out from everyone else. When asked up front about everything prior to hiring me, I told them that I was not 100% honest but I am a fast learner and know I can learn what is needed in less than 2 weeks. I learned it in one.

Jobs are getting harder to have, if you want to earn money I'll advise you to have your own skills set, this will help you to earn money, working under someone is not a good idea.

Jobs are getting harder to have, if you want to earn money I'll advise you to have your own skills set, this will help you to earn money, working under someone is not a good idea.

It is hard to get a job because the demand of the jobs is high and the government has failed to meet that demand. The supply of jobs is really short in the market.

I wouldn't do this and haven't done it before. The highest extent I've gone to then is to polish my skills with good, great English that's meant to put me in a great light but exaggeration is a no no.

That will be a good idea, we are all looking for a way to earn money and to make our needs meet, if you can make your ends meet by doing that then it will be a good idea.

There's no need of exaggeration while you can offer the best service through your to get a job. Your confidence and past achievement is what will offer you a job and not exaggration.

I have seen many people doing this and they exaggerate their skills a lot to get a job. However, after they get the job 70% of the time, they would get fired for not being able to do the job.

So, do you think it's a good idea to get a job this way? These days I am looking for a job and I have just migrated to another country. I am a technical source and most of the time, there are lots of openings for functional resources. I was asked to make my profile as a functional source( I am a techno functional source to be exact, so it's not hard for me). I love programming a lot and if I get a job as a functional resource, I wouldn't be able to do coding that I love.

People do call me a fool when I give them this reason but I would want to stay true, to myself. What are your thoughts on this?
No I never exaggerate my skills and talent because it would not be ethical even I could gain the job, I say everything true about my skills, talents and experience.

It is hard to get a job because the demand of the jobs is high and the government has failed to meet that demand. The supply of jobs is really short in the market.
That's true, jobs are getting harder to have, if you want to earn money I'll advise you to have a skill set that will fetch you money, if you don't have a skill you'll stuffer.

That's true, jobs are getting harder to have, if you want to earn money I'll advise you to have a skill set that will fetch you money, if you don't have a skill you'll stuffer.

If you opt to have a job, then you must understand that it is not that easy to get a job and work. There are many people in here who are being underpaid for their work, but they have no other option.

If you opt to have a job, then you must understand that it is not that easy to get a job and work. There are many people in here who are being underpaid for their work, but they have no other option.
Getting a job is not something easy, even if you have a good skills set I don't think you can have a good paying jobs, the best thing to do is to find something that will fetch you money.

I was asked to make my profile as a functional source( I am a techno functional source to be exact, so it's not hard for me). I love programming a lot and if I get a job as a functional resource, I wouldn't be able to do coding that I love.

Money is everything and I think it will be a cool idea to do so . Because I can’t sit there idle while I can put my skills in to work to earn something

I've done it before, and it was successful for me. I wasn't lying; I was just talking highly of myself. It was a way to make yourself stand out from the crowd. I admitted to them that I wasn't entirely truthful when they asked me about everything before employing me, but that I am a quick learner and am certain that I can pick up the necessary skills in under two weeks. I quickly picked it up.

Actually sometimes exaggeration is advised but only if you can deliver perfectly when employed. In a situation where one exaggrat skills he didn't perfect, when given a trial will fail and definitely he won't be employed

Register

Register on Admin Junkies completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Would You Rather #9

• Start a forum in a popular but highly competitive niche

Votes: 9 27.3%
  • Initiate a forum within a limited-known niche with zero competition

Votes: 24 72.7%
Win this space by entering the Website of The Month Contest

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic Backgrounds

Granite Backgrounds