Welcome to Admin Junkies, Guest — join our community!

Register or log in to explore all our content and services for free on Admin Junkies.

Would you exaggerate your skills to get a job?

I have seen many people doing this and they exaggerate their skills a lot to get a job. However, after they get the job 70% of the time, they would get fired for not being able to do the job.

So, do you think it's a good idea to get a job this way? These days I am looking for a job and I have just migrated to another country. I am a technical source and most of the time, there are lots of openings for functional resources. I was asked to make my profile as a functional source( I am a techno functional source to be exact, so it's not hard for me). I love programming a lot and if I get a job as a functional resource, I wouldn't be able to do coding that I love.

People do call me a fool when I give them this reason but I would want to stay true, to myself. What are your thoughts on this?
I have never attempted this and would not undertake it. In order to present myself in the best possible light, I have gone as far as possible as to refine my skills through the use of good language, but exaggerating is never acceptable.

Advertisement Placeholder
Well, there's nothing to exaggerate here about my job or my skill because most times, that's not the reason why a customer would patronize you but it would create a feeling on desperation in the atmosphere.

Well to some extent, exaggeration of your skills might be good and helpful but it can also be risky most especially when you are not good and performing some task. it will be a shameful stuffs for you when you can do an assignment.

Well to some extent, exaggeration of your skills might be good and helpful but it can also be risky most especially when you are not good and performing some task. it will be a shameful stuffs for you when you can do an assignment.
Exaggerating your capabilities just to get leads is actually very wrong and the result from that would be short-lived. The worst part would be that the public will never trust your products again.

Personally I thin the exaggeration of our skills is very bad and it may placed alot of effort on our work after been employed. that will makes people to focus on your activities to watch how good you can be or finding fault in your duty.

No I would not do that.

However, I will try as much as possible to make sure I present myself as someone who is capable and knows what's ahead of them always.

I believe that it is absolutely essential that you know how to sell yourself without exaggerating your skills, if you exaggerate and they find out that it is not so they might fire you.

That's very dishonest. It could also backfire when you start the job and you can't complete tasks properly.
I would rather not be hired and settle for something that is a match for my skills.
With the level of unemployment thats circulating out there throughout the world , people are desperate to do anything , even go extra mile just to sugar cout their employer about things they cannot do just to get employed , they don't mind about the future complications.

The truth is that a lot of employing do not just want to hire mediocre. I think that I might exaggerate my skills but then it is not going to be to an extent that I cannot handle completely.

With the level of unemployment thats circulating out there throughout the world , people are desperate to do anything , even go extra mile just to sugar cout their employer about things they cannot do just to get employed , they don't mind about the future complications.

I would never exaggerate my skills at all. However, I would definitely try my best to prove that I might be the kind of candidate the employer might be seeking. I may offer reasons for why I might be the best for the job.

It depends but most of the time it will backfire . You only have to present yourself naturally , with what you can do perfectly. If your employers find you appealing, they will not hesitate to hire you.

Well the truth is I don't really like the idea of working under someone especially offline, I'd rather look for my own ways to earn money than to work under someone.

no, I won't do such, sincerity is very important to me as well as my integrity, so anything I can't do, I will let them know from the on-set, I cant claim to be what I am not, and if there is anything I can do well, i will also inform them

I am somebody who is very big on integrity and I am not going to do any of that. I am instead going to spend my time on learning the skills that I do not have.

Because of the economic situation of the country right now and the increase rate in the level of unemployment throughout the world , people are desperate to secure a job and i don't see anything bad if you exaggerate about your skill to secure a Job .

You might be able to get a job by exaggerating your skills but would you be able to perform well on that job? I never do such things, I always try to be as truthful as I can possibly be.

You might be able to get a job by exaggerating your skills but would you be able to perform well on that job? I never do such things, I always try to be as truthful as I can possibly be.
Yes you are right, as always just find what you are good at, if you are doing what you like it will help you a lot, but lying in other to be employed is not a good idea.

No, I won't exaggerate my skills to get a job, What if I was tested during the interview? I would just fail woefully. I might assume that I would improve on my skills while on the job, but what if it doesn't go my way like I predicted?

I don't need to exaggerate and talk bogus in order to convince a recruiter to employ me. Just the things I would display would convince you that I am knowledgeable about the job. People that are good don't exaggerate.

Having high opinion about yourself can be good but you need to understand between exaggeration and having a high opinion or let's say the difference between being confident and over confident.

Register

Register on Admin Junkies completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Would You Rather #9

• Start a forum in a popular but highly competitive niche

Votes: 9 27.3%
  • Initiate a forum within a limited-known niche with zero competition

Votes: 24 72.7%
Win this space by entering the Website of The Month Contest

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic Backgrounds

Granite Backgrounds