Welcome to Admin Junkies, Guest — join our community!

Register or log in to explore all our content and services for free on Admin Junkies.

• Admin Junkies is proud to announce 📣 an awesome ☀️ summer special on ✍️ Content Bundles for YOUR forums! Kickstart your discussions with a Content Bundle. For the entire month of June, use the promo code AJSUMMER 🎉 to receive 50% 🎁 off your content bundle. For example, a package that normally only costs 100 Credits will only cost 50 💰 credits. Full news here.

Who started their communities on phpBB?

Bilita

Credits
I was checking out VLC media player (one of my most favorite media player, hands down) and was blown away that they were using phpBB, a tried and true forum that still works really well.

Who else started on phpBB?

Advertisement Placeholder
I started with phpBB In the early 2000s, then I spent a few months later on vB. Then a few years later on XF.

If it weren't their prohibitive rates I would try IP, I find their UX really successful.

I started with phpBB through Forumotion though not on self hosting. It was quite confusing at first to get the permissions set up since they used phpBB 3. phpBB 2's permissions were much more simpler and I probably wouldn't have been overwhelmed with the software if I started with that version.

I was one person who started on phpBB back in around 2004/2005 when I first began creating forums. I always remember back then that if you made a mistake integrating an addon, you messed up a lot and had to start again. I believe they have changed how you mod things now within phpBB.

I've had a forum on a heavily modded phpBB2 script called hailBoards. At the time, IGN still used their custom software called IGNBoards, this fork of phpBB2 called hailBoards mimic'd IGNBoards look and some of it's features (that I still use today) such as the username formatting for staff, "Watched Users List" aka a "Friends List" which was ahead of it's time at that point in time. I really enjoyed the fork of hailBoards but it wasn't my first 'forum'. Probably my 2nd or 3rd by then. Unfortunately, they stopped developing the fork after plans of bringing it onto the phpBB3 codebase fell through. I then did a new project on vBulletin around 2007, then in 2009 launched Revillution (my current forum) but I do remember my time fondly using phpBB2/3.

Register

Register on Admin Junkies completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

New Threads

Would You Rather #9

• Start a forum in a popular but highly competitive niche

Votes: 5 18.5%
  • Initiate a forum within a limited-known niche with zero competition

Votes: 22 81.5%
Win this space by entering the Website of The Month Contest

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic Backgrounds