Welcome to Admin Junkies, Guest — join our community!

Register or log in to explore all our content and services for free on Admin Junkies.

What skills should a manager have?

As a business manager, you are expected to have different kind of skills to helped you cope up with any form of business challenges that may comes your way. you deal with people and people are quite different from each other.
Managing abilities is the first thing you need to have as a manager in order to manage your business , you must also have the ability to orientate and take care of your customers and workers .

Advertisement Placeholder
A manager should know well how to speak with people, how to convince them to do things and how to punish them when it's needed. A manager should also be tougher than a regular employee because he has to introduce discipline at the employees and he also has to deal with tougher situations because he is the manager he is the ones who manage stuff and who has more important and essential responsibility for both the job and the employees. A manager should be a person who is never too late for the job, and he cannot leave the job too early because he has a greater responsibility for the job. And he definitely should be calm when stressful things happen as you say because he is the one who has to deal with them so it is very important.
That's a lot and is different from what I've experienced so far. Some of these are qualities a person would have to learn or change to do the job properly.

My manager is rarely at work these days and has never been a constant there.

I had commented on this before, but since it is coming up again on my feed, i will just add some more points:
The skills a manager should have are a combination of people skills and technical knowledge. People skills are important because a manager is often the face of the company to its employees and customers. Without good people skills, it can be difficult for a manager to inspire their employees and make them feel valued.

Technical knowledge is also important because managers often need to know how things work in order to make decisions that affect their departments or company as a whole. For example, if someone comes up with an idea for improving efficiency in the department, the manager must be able to understand exactly how this would work before deciding if it's worth implementing or not.

Discipline is very important and integrity is equally important too. in fact all the points you raised are all importan, but it is a pity that most of the business owners does not possess all these qualities.

Apart from discipline, a manager also needs to understand the fact that being rude to your employees would not make them productive. I have seen many rude managers as well.

It is vital for a manager to possess both personnel management and financial management skills because you can handle your finances successfully without having people on your team. You most likely learned how to blend them.

A manager should be punctual at work almost everytime to be checking up on the workers and advising them and also correct in them when they make any mistakes and he or she must be discipline for him to be able to discipline any workers that goes beyond the rule,

i think the best skill a manager can have is being able to listen and the ability to be in control of any situation pertaining to the business, personally i think mostly all people want is to heard so if you are able to do that as a manager not only are you able to keep your workers in line but your customers too.

The function of the manager is to manage the business organisation they are working for. Management of business organisation involved proper customer satisfaction. Coordination of business workers and employees. And making sure the business is always on constant profit.

I had responded to this before, but i will just add a few more pointers for a good manager:
  1. Leadership: A manager should have the ability to motivate and inspire their team to achieve their goals and to provide direction and guidance.
  2. Communication: Effective communication is essential for a manager, as they need to be able to communicate clearly with their team, superiors, and stakeholders.
  3. Decision-making: Managers need to be able to make informed decisions that take into account the needs and goals of their team and the organization as a whole.
  4. Problem-solving: Managers should be able to identify and analyze problems and develop effective solutions to resolve them.
  5. Time management: A manager should be able to prioritize tasks and manage their time effectively to meet deadlines and achieve goals.
  6. Strategic thinking: Managers should have the ability to think critically and strategically about the organization's goals and objectives and develop plans to achieve them.
  7. Interpersonal skills: Managers should have strong interpersonal skills and be able to build relationships with their team, peers, and stakeholders.
  8. Emotional intelligence: Managers should have the ability to understand and manage their own emotions and those of others, and to use this understanding to build productive relationships with their team.
  9. Technical skills: Depending on the industry and the nature of the work, managers should have a good understanding of the technical skills required for the job.
  10. Adaptability: Managers should be able to adapt to changing circumstances and be flexible in their approach to work.

As a manager aiming to be better, You need to learn some skills you do not possess before. Some people possess these skills naturally. These skills include; Problem solving, Decision making, Time management and Creativity.

The function of the manager is to manage the business organisation they are working for. Management of business organisation involved proper customer satisfaction. Coordination of business workers and employees. And making sure the business is always on constant profit.
You need to have some special skills as a manager it's going to help you a lot, having the knowledge an experience on how to lead your followers is very important.

You need to have some special skills as a manager it's going to help you a lot, having the knowledge an experience on how to lead your followers is very important.

Omo, who will even have the time to study people . well I might only choose to employ people I am comfortable with. Is Reading people really mandatory for people who are running a business most especially nowadays in the modern society ?

Omo, who will even have the time to study people . well I might only choose to employ people I am comfortable with. Is Reading people really mandatory for people who are running a business most especially nowadays in the modern society ?
You are right sir, time is of essence, finding the right person for the job that's what really matters, you don't have to waste your time on something that will not be worth it.

Management skills are about letting go of your personality and learning the necessary skills. That way, you can be a short tempered person but being a manager forces you to learn emotional intelligence. Other skills include being organized, able to solve problems and ability to sniff out opportunities.

Management skills are about letting go of your personality and learning the necessary skills. That way, you can be a short tempered person but being a manager forces you to learn emotional intelligence. Other skills include being organized, able to solve problems and ability to sniff out opportunities.
Exactly, before you can be able to be successful with whatever you are doing you need to have a good mindset, having a good mindset will also help, what do you think?

There are some general skills that all managers should have irrespective of the industry. However, some skills are related to the niches of the business. For instance, a manager at a health center needs special skills compared to a manager in a fashion house.

A manager is somebody was supposed to know the strengths and weaknesses of his company and also his employees so that he can be able to use them to advantage.

I also believe that in knowing the strength and weaknesses of your business, you should also have a very good management skills as a manager because without that, it means that there is no way you can be able to enforce any kind of policy in the business.

A manager must possess certain skills and like punctuality, prudency target driven, must possess interpersonal skills, must be a good decision maker, must know how to relate with both staffs and customers including vendors.

You are right sir, time is of essence, finding the right person for the job that's what really matters, you don't have to waste your time on something that will not be worth it.
There is always a saying that a book shall not always be judged by its cover and because of that there is no how you can tell a good employee by just looking at the person . you have to work with the person for sometimes to know of their true character and how they are able to handle responsibilities.

Though there are skills that are more like talent such as empathy, listening and some others, Managers need to have skills that include critical thinking, leadership capabilities, sound decision making amongst others to lead properly.

I also believe that human management skill is something that is required of anyone who is a business manager because it is going to fall on you to manage the whole staff that are working on that you too much so that the business progress very well.

Register

Register on Admin Junkies completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Would You Rather #9

• Start a forum in a popular but highly competitive niche

Votes: 9 27.3%
  • Initiate a forum within a limited-known niche with zero competition

Votes: 24 72.7%
Win this space by entering the Website of The Month Contest

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic Backgrounds

Granite Backgrounds