Welcome to Admin Junkies, Guest — join our community!

Register or log in to explore all our content and services for free on Admin Junkies.

What made you want to code?

Reverie

Mythical member
Retired Staff
Credits
What made you interested to begin coding? Was there a website you were on and you wanted to decorate, did you have an idea for a website/forum and wanted to make it the very best with extra codes? Did you happen to just take a class where coding was discussed and that jumpstarted your interest?

Seeing all the cool custom features people were creating for Zathyus Networks is what led my journey to coding. I thought it was cool and amazing at once what code could accomplish to re-invent your forum.

I started to learn programming because I wanted to learn how to ROM hack the 16-bit and 8-bit Sonic games. I'm better at editing code rather than writing code from scratch. I still need to practice more to actually dive into web based programming.

What made you interested to begin coding? Was there a website you were on and you wanted to decorate, did you have an idea for a website/forum and wanted to make it the very best with extra codes? Did you happen to just take a class where coding was discussed and that jumpstarted your interest?
Funny story actually.

I got my start in coding with MySpace profile codes. Its fascinated me that you could write this strange stuff and paste it into what basically was a form field and it would change the entire look of your profile. So, I started making my own, then some friends at the time asked me to make them one, and well.... It ended up here going on 20yrs later... What a wild ride. Who woulda thunk'ed it.

Being addicted to computers since I was in Kindergarten, I've always been curious about how things work in it. During my school days when I was in 9 or 10th standard, I was a part of a forum in Zetaboards where we used to create mods for games like WWE and GTA. Like, we used to change the skins of the character to whatever we want using photoshop and some pulgins and also the models we used to change as well using 3DS MAX as far as I remember. Then later in school and college, I learnt C and C++. Then onwards I got more interested in programming. Even though my Bachelors was not in Computer Science, I learnt a lot of coding on my own just because of my enthusiasm. Now finally at work all that is becoming useful. Every day I have to work in design & validation of aerospace electronic products which required a lot of different kinds of instruments to perform tons of tests. To make my life easy, I use Python to write automation scripts using the SCPI commands to run the instruments the way I want them to for the particular measurement. Coding is love for me!

I'm not that good at coding but long story short I Was always into PCs and I.C.T and so I want to study Certificates 1 to 4 back in the day ;p and part of the course was coding. From web designing and whatnot. I was using the old style HTML till a couple of years I was informed to use "Div" and div was a little easy to use. Nowdays you can build a site with basic knowledge and I hire people that are good with Javascript and whatnot :p

I like creative stuff and coding is a way to be massively creative and also seems like a way to make good money or at least have a side-gig.

Depends on what you call coding.... html/css is not that big fo a deal to me... but I have absolutely NO desire to delve into PHP, C++ or similar.... I have enough on my plate as it is!
I can muddle through figuring out PHP... but honestly.. for my day to day business (especially since I'm LONG retired).... learning coding is not high on my scale of need. ;)

I started coding wow, back in like the late 80's. In the early 90's, I borrowed a book from the library and studied GW-Basic coding intensely. I then created a "Choose Your Own Adventure" game in Q-Basic (which I quickly acquired since it was a lot easier). I spent all Summer break writing it. It was very simplistic by today's standards, of course. Then I got into BBS's. I eventually paid $70 via snail mail for the source code of the BBS version I ran. It was in C++. I got my hands on Turbo C++, and dived right in. Loved it!

Nowadays, I am learning PHP. Very cool.

As for why? I have a very technical mind, and seem adept at anything involving computers. It just came naturally. :)

Like so many here, I first got drawn in by the Invisionfree community. Started my own IF forum, got involved on the support forum a bit as well... Mostly did css and a bit of javascript. Some PHP when I got more involved with a stand alone forum. When I started running my own forums I would do some PHP mods where needed. Then I went to school for computer science and now I code every day for a living. But now it's become a chore -- I miss the days when I felt like coding was a super power or ninja jutsu and I was gaining power by learning new languages. Think it's time to get back to that fanciful hacker mindset.

When I saw for the first time a web page, I was immensely curious what's behind that thing. How is that made? How??? Started asking questions and started learning HTML. That was an awesome feeling... I was a programmer hahaha... I did not have internet at my house, but I started making html websites and saving them into floppy Disks. Then I met someone that gave me a bunch of Visual Basic books, including the program on a CD and that did blow my mind. The rest has been inspired to make useful stuff with web pages and programs. When I look around, I always think how to make a piece of software about it. And I absolutely love it. 24 years has passed and I sill have the same feelings as I had in the beginning.

I miss the days when I felt like coding was a super power or ninja jutsu and I was gaining power by learning new languages.
Don't get me wrong, I'd love to have a career in programming, but this is one reason I wouldn't. I love how freelance coding is all at your own will whether you feel like coding or not. I don't like the thought of projects being assigned to me and there is a deadline to get them done.

I started coding wow, back in like the late 80's. In the early 90's, I borrowed a book from the library and studied GW-Basic coding intensely. I then created a "Choose Your Own Adventure" game in Q-Basic (which I quickly acquired since it was a lot easier). I spent all Summer break writing it. It was very simplistic by today's standards, of course. Then I got into BBS's. I eventually paid $70 via snail mail for the source code of the BBS version I ran. It was in C++. I got my hands on Turbo C++, and dived right in. Loved it!

Nowadays, I am learning PHP. Very cool.

As for why? I have a very technical mind, and seem adept at anything involving computers. It just came naturally. :)
This is mostly my story in brief; in my case it was ZX Basic on the Spectrum and BBC Basic on the BBC machines in school before veering briefly into Spectrum assembly before heading onto AMOS on the Amiga, QBASIC and Visual Basic then ASP Classic then PHP, then various things since but PHP is where I end up back at.

I still have some of the books I grew up with but between these - https://usborne.com/gb/books/computer-and-coding-books - and the Fighting Fantasy series of gamebooks (and imitators, for better and worse), that was where my programming journey started.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to have a career in programming, but this is one reason I wouldn't. I love how freelance coding is all at your own will whether you feel like coding or not. I don't like the thought of projects being assigned to me and there is a deadline to get them done.
I should have gone into politics. :LOL:

That being said most of my day at work is also not spent coding... it's doing project management stuff, requirement gathering, reviewing other people's code, etc.

This is mostly my story in brief; in my case it was ZX Basic on the Spectrum and BBC Basic on the BBC machines in school before veering briefly into Spectrum assembly before heading onto AMOS on the Amiga, QBASIC and Visual Basic then ASP Classic then PHP, then various things since but PHP is where I end up back at.

I still have some of the books I grew up with but between these - https://usborne.com/gb/books/computer-and-coding-books - and the Fighting Fantasy series of gamebooks (and imitators, for better and worse), that was where my programming journey started.
Coolness. So far, the only languages I've used extensively are Basic, C++, HTML, CSS, and PHP. I also dabbled with MS-DOS "batch" files. :D

Register

Register on Admin Junkies completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Activity
So far there's no one here

Users who are viewing this thread

Would You Rather #9

• Start a forum in a popular but highly competitive niche

Votes: 5 21.7%
  • Initiate a forum within a limited-known niche with zero competition

Votes: 18 78.3%
Win this space by entering the Website of The Month Contest

Theme editor