Welcome to Admin Junkies, Guest — join our community!

Register or log in to explore all our content and services for free on Admin Junkies.

PHP Web Application Development Deep Dive Outline.

Tyrsson

Retired Staff
Retired Staff
Website
github.com
Credits
This post will serve as an outline of the Application Development Deep Dive series of articles that will be published throughout the coming days / weeks. The source code is an application that started as an example to a friend of how to build a simple application that would facilitate the prototyping of "website" designs (templates/javascript/css). Its framework agnostic although it does use libraries/components from Laminas/Mezzio/Symfony etc. The thought then occurred to me that I could highlight the building of this application as a walk through for Web Application development. Subject matter for which @Cedric requested a series of articles.

Requirements/Features already provided by the application and subject matter that will be covered.
  • Leverage a template engine to facilitate the building of a "Website" design. Basically the structure of the site and allow for prototyping its html pages etc.
  • Provide examples of object oriented best practice.
  • Support for common site header and footer.
  • Support for asset management i.e. script files, stylesheets etc. To include versioned asset usage.
  • Adhere to KISS & DRY. For those not in the know for software acronyms those mean. Keep It Simple Stupid and Don't Repeat Yourself.
  • Provide a foundation that will support the second series of articles which will be DevOps, CI/CD oriented. But will use the same code base for the examples.
  • Application data and configuration will be provided solely via php arrays for simplicity.
  • Provide support for configuration override via config file globbing and array merging strategies.
  • Provide in-depth usage examples for PSR compliant library integration through real world implementations.
  • Provide a means of extending functionality without having to modify the core application through the use of helpers / listeners / delegated and/or overridden services.
  • Provide a means of detecting and responding correctly to Ajax request. (components are in place for this, but it will be presented in a refactor in iteration 2 - 3).
  • Contextual examples of proper output escaping.
  • Provide a means of facilitating proper content negotiation throughout the application request/response lifecycle.
If there is anything that I have overlooked for a good introduction to Web Application Development please feel free cause I am sure I have missed several topics that should be covered. If you post it up, I will work it in.

Register

Register on Admin Junkies completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Activity
So far there's no one here

Users who are viewing this thread

Would You Rather #9

• Start a forum in a popular but highly competitive niche

Votes: 5 21.7%
  • Initiate a forum within a limited-known niche with zero competition

Votes: 18 78.3%
Win this space by entering the Website of The Month Contest

Theme editor