Welcome to Admin Junkies, Guest — join our community!

Register or log in to explore all our content and services for free on Admin Junkies.

User Upload Limits

Uncrowned

Reputable member
Website
uncrownedempire.com
Credits
As we strive to balance server capacities, page loading times, and user experience, setting appropriate upload limits for images, posts, and videos can be a bit of a juggling act. I'm curious to learn about the strategies and standards you've all set on your platforms.

Image Size Limits: What limits have you set for image uploads in terms of file size? Have you found a 'sweet spot' that keeps your pages loading smoothly without overly compressing or limiting image quality?

Post Size Limits: How do you manage the size of individual posts? Is there a particular image count or total upload size you've found effective in maintaining a streamlined forum experience?

Video Uploads: Do you allow direct video uploads, and if so, what size limits do you enforce? Or do you prefer linking/embedding from external platforms to save on server space?

Overall Strategy: How do you balance these limits with user experience? Have you faced any particular challenges or discovered any effective solutions you'd like to share?

I believe sharing our experiences and strategies can be incredibly beneficial, especially for those of us looking to optimize our platforms for better performance and user engagement. Your insights and practices could be a great learning opportunity for all of us!

Looking forward to an enlightening discussion!

It's annoying when I browse other forums not able to copy and paste screenshots I take. So usually I end up just leaving the forum all together and don't bother posting.

We have an 8MB limit on AJ, but not everyone has the permission to dump 8MB per attachment. Video uploads are always better handled via Youtube.

The bigger the better, I know I have tried to upload images from midjourney I created onto here and they are too large, (I think it was for the desktop wallpaper thread) so I can up..

Images are great to upload and with a gallery, it allows people to share and whatnot however over time it can add up in size ;) Might you be right in terms of how big that they are allowed to upload, and what's a good size image?

For me as a member of Bayside, it's 3 MB per image that you are allowed to upload, that's the max. Do you think that's low? we are talking about just a normal image of their gameplay. Most of the images that do get uploaded are all around 400kb to 900kb and that's large, whereas other images that members upload or myself are under 200kb

That being said other groups can upload more than 3MB :) like VIP group but 3MB an image LOL who would upload that size

Currently, I use a 10MB per post limit on images and do not allow uploading videos. So users can either do one large image or multiple smaller images. I will be the first to say that I mostly pulled that out of nowhere, which is the point of this topic as it seems like most admins just pick a number.

It dawned on me that, while large, it would only take 100,000 10MB posts to reach 1TB of storage. This has kind of made me wonder how these numbers will play out 20 years from now.

Images are great to upload and with a gallery, it allows people to share and whatnot however over time it can add up in size ;) Might you be right in terms of how big that they are allowed to upload, and what's a good size image?

For me as a member of Bayside, it's 3 MB per image that you are allowed to upload, that's the max. Do you think that's low? we are talking about just a normal image of their gameplay. Most of the images that do get uploaded are all around 400kb to 900kb and that's large, whereas other images that members upload or myself are under 200kb

That being said other groups can upload more than 3MB :) like VIP group but 3MB an image LOL who would upload that size
Most images would be above that size now days, I reckon 10MB as a minimum file size for images, if not even 15MB. Guess it depends on how much room you have on your host etc.

Currently, I use a 10MB per post limit on images and do not allow uploading videos. So users can either do one large image or multiple smaller images. I will be the first to say that I mostly pulled that out of nowhere, which is the point of this topic as it seems like most admins just pick a number.

It dawned on me that, while large, it would only take 100,000 10MB posts to reach 1TB of storage. This has kind of made me wonder how these numbers will play out 20 years from now.
seems like a "worry about it in 20 years problem" when the average image file size will be 1 GIG and 1TB of storage will cost about 5c a month.

Most images would be above that size now days, I reckon 10MB as a minimum file size for images, if not even 15MB. Guess it depends on how much room you have on your host etc.
I have plenty of room/space, storage for me is good :) it's my backup server I'm limited to 5GB as it's free from my webhost. Most images that I take from Steam with F12 and upload or save them are under 200KB anyway XD

seems like a "worry about it in 20 years problem" when the average image file size will be 1 GIG and 1TB of storage will cost about 5c a month.
That is a valid way to put it

I have plenty of room/space, storage for me is good :) it's my backup server I'm limited to 5GB as it's free from my webhost. Most images that I take from Steam with F12 and upload or save them are under 200KB anyway XD
This is actually a pretty good way to determine the limits, if screenshots are the primary image, those can be tested across devices with relative ease.

That is a valid way to put it

This is actually a pretty good way to determine the limits, if screenshots are the primary image, those can be tested across devices with relative ease.
Yeah, I mean even 4K images are bigger but at the same time they would not be 15MB - ENd of the day we are talking about this - https://www.baysidegamers.com/gallery/ even if they are 200 or less, I mean I uploaded images that are 38kb :) the images are still HD and great to look at

Yeah, I mean even 4K images are bigger but at the same time they would not be 15MB - ENd of the day we are talking about this - https://www.baysidegamers.com/gallery/ even if they are 200 or less, I mean I uploaded images that are 38kb :) the images are still HD and great to look at
I do this too. Taking screenshots, in .jpg format saves loads of space and hardly anything is compromised in quality.

Register

Register on Admin Junkies completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Activity
So far there's no one here

Users who are viewing this thread

New Threads

Would You Rather #9

• Start a forum in a popular but highly competitive niche

Votes: 5 20.8%
  • Initiate a forum within a limited-known niche with zero competition

Votes: 19 79.2%
Win this space by entering the Website of The Month Contest